Extra legroom mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra legroom mod.

Fancy a bit of extra legroom behind the wheel of your 2nd gen?...Yeah, me too. After scouring the web, and seeing the same question being asked, but no satisfactory soloutions posted, I thought Id have a go myself.....I started with a couple of lengths of stainless bar, that were a good bit longer than the drivers seat rail runners. I then unbolted the seat and removed all 4 of the mounting brackets. This required drilling through all 4 rivets and chiseling them free, because they are further secured by tiny dowels that seem to be spot welded....To drill the 8 holes in the stainless bars, offer them up to the seat rails and mark where the holes need to be drilled, 4 for the original holes, and 4 set back to give the added legroom....When the new rails were bolted up to the old ones, it was neccessary to use some washers as spacers to keep both sets of rails parrallel.... Before bolting everything in place, I cut down any excessively long bolts (High tensile might be best for the job )....I havent decided, yet, weather to take it all apart again to paint the rails black......Finally I jumped in the truck and took a drive....Couldnt believe the difference!....The extra legroom was phenomenal!....It was like Id traded up to a landcruiser!.........I can thoroughly recommend trying this mod or something similar.....Just remember, I did all this using trial and error, so work all the dimensions out for yourselves,......And always remember, children,..."measure twice, cut/drill once"...Hope the pics help to explain....Cheers....Mick.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MWS; 4 June 2010, 19:02.
    " Time wounds all heels ".

Looks good but pity the poor sod that has to sit behind you

Comment

bet that stainless took some drilling

a useless modification for me as i have shortarse syndrom.
      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Errrrmmmm do what i did.

Buy a 3rd gen.
        If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by MWS View Post
          Fancy a bit of extra legroom behind the wheel of your 2nd gen?...Yeah, me too. After scouring the web, and seeing the same question being asked, but no satisfactory soloutions posted, I thought Id have a go myself.....I started with a couple of lengths of stainless bar, that were a good bit longer than the drivers seat rail runners. I then unbolted the seat and removed all 4 of the mounting brackets. This required drilling through all 4 rivets and chiseling them free, because they are further secured by tiny dowels that seem to be spot welded....To drill the 8 holes in the stainless bars, offer them up to the seat rails and mark where the holes need to be drilled, 4 for the original holes, and 4 set back to give the added legroom....When the new rails were bolted up to the old ones, it was neccessary to use some washers as spacers to keep both sets of rails parrallel.... Before bolting everything in place, I cut down any excessively long bolts (High tensile might be best for the job )....I havent decided, yet, weather to take it all apart again to paint the rails black......Finally I jumped in the truck and took a drive....Couldnt believe the difference!....The extra legroom was phenomenal!....It was like Id traded up to a landcruiser!.........I can thoroughly recommend trying this mod or something similar.....Just remember, I did all this using trial and error, so work all the dimensions out for yourselves,......And always remember,children,..."measure twice, cut/drill once"...Hope the pics help to explain....Chees....Mick.

Good work.
          Do you have arms like an Orangutan to reach the steering wheel then?

Comment

I'm 6ft 3......How tall are you that you need more legroom?

nice mod.
            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Working...
            X