Gen 3 Roofbar Fixings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gen 3 Roofbar Fixings

If any of you have Gen 3 Surfs with the metal tracks on the roof and wish to fit roof bars, I have a supply of the channel nuts needed to fix the bar feet down. (It was cheaper to buy a box of 100 than 8 individually!). These slot into the track and are held in place by an integral spring. They have a 6mm thread.
    You need 8 (2 per foot), assuming you are using Thule roofbars or similar.
    If anyone is interested, they are £5 for a set of 9 (8+1 spare) delivered to your door. 10 sets available.
    Cheers,
    Mark

One set despatched to new owner. 9 sets to go. Anyone else want some to hold roof bars on?

Comment

But what sort of bars do you need, mine thules have the old fasioned gutter type feet (for the patrol) so how would I fix these to the surf?
      Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Smego2 View Post
        But what sort of bars do you need, mine thules have the old fasioned gutter type feet (for the patrol) so how would I fix these to the surf?
        you have a 2nd gen though don't you so the fixings will be different to the 3rd gens.Unless you got an early 3rd gen then it may well be the same as the 2nd gen fixings without the roof gutters for the rails/bars to fit into
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

My Gen 3 has a channel on each side fitted to the roof by Toyota. Following advice received from this forum, I used Thule 761 square roof bars (120cm), Thule 4700 Rapid tracker feet and Thule 4715 fitting kit (designed for a Honda CR-V).
          The Thule securing nuts which fit inside the channel are a bit feeble ad not really long enough - hence the requirement for the 6mm channel nuts I have got for sale.
          I got all my bits off ebay for a grand total of about £50.

I don't know whether the Gen 2s have a similar fitted roof track - Stormy suggests not.

Comment

Nope mine is a 3rd gen with the gutters, so I would need differant legs for the bars as well then.
            Nissan Patrol for on-road, and a Land-Rover 110 shed for off-road :-)

Comment

Correct. Channel nuts not needed if you have gutters. Someone here must know the correct Thule feet for use with roof gutters.

Comment

Another set of channel nuts gone to a new owner. Anyone else need some?
                Cheers,
                Mark

Comment

Hi Mark,

Still got one of those sets available?
                  96 3rd gen 3.0TD SSRX

Comment

Hi thibaud,
                    Yes, I have 4 sets left. The postage cost has gone up recently though and a set will now be £6 delivered (£1 more than last year).
                    PM me for the Paypal account address or postal adress if interested.
                    Cheers,
                    Mark

Comment

Hi Mark

Do you sill have some of these nuts?

I have 3rd gen with channel bars and researching sources for the bars and fittings. So I need the Thule 761, 4700 and 4715. Is that right? Anyone got some?

Comment

These sound like Zebedee nuts...
                        Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Yes, I have some sets left - £6 delivered for 9 channel nuts.
                          Yes they are also known as Zebedee nuts because of the spring on one side which helps to keep them in place when not bolted up tight.

The Thule numbers mentioned are what I use. You buy the bars, legs and feet separately. These are the basic square plastic covered bars (the cheapest!), but there are a number of aero shaped alloy Thule bars as well which will have different part numbers.
                          I have a spare set of the bars and legs available - well used but servicable. £25 + postage (all you would then need is the feet). I would include a set of channel nuts with this as well if needed.
                          Cheers,
                          Mark
                          Last edited by markp2; 4 May 2011, 13:16. Reason: More info

Comment

Given the age of this thread I'm not sure if there will be any left. If there are any I would be keen.

I've got the Thule feet but can someone please confirm that I need M8 channel nuts (zebedees) to make the feet fit in to the rails better?

I've found a supplier that has both M8 and M10 although the delivery is disproportionate for them so I'm keen to get it right.

Many Thanks,

Tom.

Comment

Hi Tom,
                              We still have a 2 or 3 sets left in the box. Price still £6 inc postage. PM me for the Paypal account if you would like some.
                              The fastenings we have are M6. You could use M8 but it will be tight. Anything larger won't go through the holes in the rack feet which we have seen.
                              Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X