No announcement yet.

Lexurf VII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right.... I promise if I am allowed to come and see Lexurf number VIII when it's ready I can make the loud pedal work properly ... for the purpose of the video required of course !!!

(No more miss daisy driving for me)

Comment

• Originally posted by Balllsy View Post
      Right.... I promise if I am allowed to come and see Lexurf number VIII when it's ready I can make the loud pedal work properly ... for the purpose of the video required of course !!!

(No more miss daisy driving for me)
      Who's next on the agenda, is it bazcam?
      If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

• Yes.
        Lovely looking truck already, just needs it's own soundtrack and some colour & shine under the lid.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Yes.
          Lovely looking truck already, just needs it's own soundtrack and some colour & shine under the lid.
          Tis a beauty, can't wait to see you work your magic yet again.

When do you start?

Comment

• Originally posted by si tate View Post
            Tis a beauty, can't wait to see you work your magic yet again.

When do you start?
            In the morning!

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
              In the morning!
              WOW, you don't hang about.

Comment

• Ealy finish tomorrow though, Craig's performing in his school concert

as a cow!!!

Comment

• Mine was a cow last year.
                  He's Joseph this year, but doesn't have a speaking part he says, but then went on to say he's singing a song!

He's just turned 5. This i've gotta see!
                  "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                  www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

• Craig was four last week-end.
                    It's just a Christmas concert he's in and it's all in Welsh!

Comment

• 'n beraidd Baban Iesu!

Best of luck to the little 'un!
                      "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                      www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

• Collection & Update.

I made the trip down to Vinces last week (Wed 7th) and collected the finished truck. Vince was collecting the wife & I from the train station and it was a nice surprise when he rolled up in Lexurf VII and all it's thunderous glory.
                        I was sitting waiting when all of a sudden I heard this almighty rumble from outside and when I looked up to check out what it was and seen the truck going past I couldn't believe it was my own creating this heavenly sound. One thing I have to say, this thing sounds so sweet and is exactly how a big V8 truck should sound. At low revs it's a nice deep rumble, nothing to obnoxious, but when you give it some pedal it snarls, and man, does it sound good
                        Back to Vinces and as usual we were made very welcome by Jo with a nice warm cup of coffee and some banter & chat. The wives chatted away whilst Vince & I talked Lexurfs and I got the official guided tour of #VIII
                        I had a look at #VIII which was sitting outside ready for the surgeons theatre and a fine Surf it is even before it goes under the knife. Crackin truck Bazcam!

So, after the goodbyes we headed for South Snowdonia and the Dolffanog Fach B&B. On the way up the truck never missed a beat. I can't believe how easy it is to get to 80mph in this thing but unfortunately I had the wife beside me screaming, "Slow down, slow down!" with her two hands hanging onto the grab rail.
                        We had a great night in the B&B and a fantastic meal with some Breconshire Brewery Ale.......Quality

Next morning it was up and onward to Holyhead with a coffee stop at Betws-y-Coed for cappuccino & a slice of Bara Brith.

The finish of the truck and Vinces attention to detail is awesome! I can not praise his work enough and bearing in mind that this is a 17 year old truck & a 14 year old engine, it makes it all the more amazing. Underneath this thing is immaculate and the engine bay is just something else. Just ask BigBobE

Something else that stands out is the steering. It is so light and responsive you kind of forget that you are in a 2 Ton truck. The steering feels more like a modern small car, only you are 5 feet up in the air!
                        I found myself going into some of the corners a bit too hot (there is no straight bits on the A470) but the steering was so precise it was no bother at all. It just went where ever you pointed the wheels at.
                        It must be a combination of a lighter front end, Steering joint mod, maybe the freewheeling hubs too???
                        It's great anyhow

Some other things worth mentioning are the brakes and the 'Yoshie Sliders'.
                        Before I left the truck down to Vince the best way to describe the braking was two bits of wood pressing against steel! Now with the SS braided hoses, Toyota pads up front and new discs, drums & shoes the braking is fantastic and I suppose how it should be. I had two new rear brake cylinders fitted last year so the whole system is more or less new and Vince gave the Calipers a good servicing too so very happy with the brakes now

The Yoshie sliders are a great bit of kit & look fantastic!!! Absolutely solid they are and difinitely a worthwhile upgrade from those tinfoil alu ones you get as standard. Vince sprayed mine up black to match the underneath and I have found that with just the paint they are fine for getting in and out with no slipping or loss of grip.

Plans now are to get a new set of rear chrome quarters, order some new bolsters & a backrest service kit for the Recaros and to satisfy my childish needs the Hornblasters 'Shocker' kit
                        I'll keep this thread updated in the future with any further work and Lexurf VII progress.

Here is a vid I took going through the Dublin Port Tunnel. Not exactly how I wanted to do it but with the wife beside me she wasn't really up for my Tomfoolery. You can't see her punching my leg whenever she thought I was going to fast. I think the artics scared her a bit too hehehe. I was hoping to get it flat out, needle right off the speedo but there you are. Let's you hear the V8 anyway.

Daylight under bonnet pic.

Somewhere in Betws-y-Coed.

Just like to say it was great meeting BigBobE and Paula in Dublin for the handing over of his alternator in my first ever 'Surf Train'. He seemed to be well impressed by Vinces work and maybe a future customer by the sounds of it

Again, a big THANK YOU to Vince, aka BUSHWHACKER for all his hard work, time and effort.

Comment

• welcome to the club

as usual - cracking job again from lexurfdom

mine still makes me grin after 1 year

Comment

• Sheesh, I'm fillin' up here!
                            Excellent video, where was all the other traffic, did you scare them off?

Glad it's running well, I bet you had to fill the tank twice just to get home!
                            Did you monitor the temps on the way home? Everything OK?
                            Does it still take a while to fire up from cold? I think I know what's causing it, it's just something that needs plugging back in and a vacuum pipe attached. I'll PM you later about it.

p.s. thanks for the gift inside the card by the way, much appreciated. I really wasn't expecting that and there was no need for it you naughty boy!

Comment

• Cheers Gary, feels good to be a member

Vince, we had priority boarding on the ferry so it was first on, first off.
                              I was first into the tunnel off the boat. Feckin 10 Euro for the pleasure too

That £61 I put in down at yours done us up to the garage where I met BigBobE in Dublin and the light still hadn't come on!
                              I stuck another £40 in and that got us the 110 mile home @80mph and also a few days I used it to go to & from work. I wanted to see if the fuel light was coming on which it did. It seems to be doing approx 22mpg combined. The ST220 is doing 20mpg combined!!!

Temperatures on the way home where fine. I don't remember seeing the water temp above 75. I don't think I can remember seeing the oil temps above 40???
                              I'll reset the maximums on the guages and see what they log when I'm using it again.

On the few mornings I used it for work it was below zero and the engine fired up right away. Sometimes it takes a few seconds longer of cranking but it fires up. Only thing is I have to hold it on the throttle until about 40 degrees before it will hold the idle itself. Only takes a minute or two to warm but a bit of a pain. If I fire it up, stick it in drive and go there is no problem but i'd like to sort that out. The thought of remote start from inside the house in the mornings and a nice warm truck when I get in is very appealing

Did you get my PM a few days ago? Here's a pick of the ARB bracket. I'm going out now to get underneath for a better look. This is the first time in days it's been dry enough.
                              Do you think I should hammer/bend it back up or just get a new bracket from Roughtrax to be sure?

Regards the card, our pleasure mate

Comment

• Originally posted by GBV8 View Post
                                On the few mornings I used it for work it was below zero and the engine fired up right away. Sometimes it takes a few seconds longer of cranking but it fires up. Only thing is I have to hold it on the throttle until about 40 degrees before it will hold the idle itself. Only takes a minute or two to warm but a bit of a pain. If I fire it up, stick it in drive and go there is no problem but i'd like to sort that out. The thought of remote start from inside the house in the mornings and a nice warm truck when I get in is very appealing
                                Sounds a bit like mine in the last couple of months. I've got good at left-foot-braking and riding the throttle a bit for the first 2 minutes of driving as a result!

Had the IACV off but it's clean as a whistle! I think I just need to adjust the throttle cable a bit.

I have to say I don't like lifted Surfs as much as most people (hence mine being the only UK 1UZ I know of that is stock height) but yours looks fantastic on those 18s. Loving the exhaust note too!

Comment

Working...
                                X