No announcement yet.

Truck off the road- Not in the off road kind :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been quoted £250 to change the seals in the pump and then pressure test it to make sure its ok + then the cost of having it refitted. But if it works I'll be very happy. Mechanic only charged £150 last time to change pump and injectors and change cambelt, so hopefully be little less than than.

Comment

wheres it leaking from mate

Comment

From the seal at the rear of the pump

Comment

can you not get to it without taking it out as alot less work envolved

if you can will take about an hour

Comment

The rear seal is a MOFO, you definatly can't take it out with pump in car as lots of springs and bits will fall out the end, and all the manuals I have say the pump needs recalibrating after you disturb it.

I've never done one, couldn't risk buggering up someones truck and not needed to do one on my truck.

Always just swapped pumps for a good one if its the rear seal.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

i would agree with the master Tony ive done tope seal and top O ring which is pretty straight forward but anything more would speak to deisel bob if only for a quote

must say i have only found 2 or 3 people i would trust with my truck

any pics of the truck by the way

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                The rear seal is a MOFO, you definatly can't take it out with pump in car as lots of springs and bits will fall out the end, and all the manuals I have say the pump needs recalibrating after you disturb it.

I've never done one, couldn't risk buggering up someones truck and not needed to do one on my truck.

Always just swapped pumps for a good one if its the rear seal.

I've dismantled an old 2.4 pump ('92) just because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and I couldn't find anything that would want calibrating. I fitted it all back together as it was no problem.

It didn't go back on an engine though so I don't know if it would have worked.

Comment

nice one bushwhacker good pics i need a man cave

when your on quick question if when driving i take my foot of the gas should rev counter needle drop to tick ove point proably a stupid question

cheers

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                    I've dismantled an old 2.4 pump ('92) just because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and I couldn't find anything that would want calibrating. I fitted it all back together as it was no problem.
                    Yeah, its a good point, I've looked on duff pumps too, but I'm sure people wouldn't want me experimenting on thier trucks just in case.

If mine starts leaking from there, we'll find out.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by BAV1 View Post

when your on quick question if when driving i take my foot of the gas should rev counter needle drop to tick ove point proably a stupid question

cheers
                      Can't say that I've noticed, but on an auto diesel I guess it would.

Comment

Vince vince vince!!!!

Thanks for these pics I think im going to go for it and change that seal myself. Its decided now. Just a question, what was still attatched to the distributor when removed because I cant see from these pics why calibration is needed
                        well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Nice pics there Vince! I've always wondered what was inside!

Originally posted by BAV1 View Post

cheers
                          My Surf does!, but depends on how fast you're going. If torque convertor is locked up (over 55mph) then revs will stay as they are with the engine until you go under 55mph. If you're just crawling then revs go to tickover, I find that If I'm cruising mid way then revs drop to slightly above tickover. (I thought it must be due to drivetrain force on the engine through the torque convertor.)

Edit: Wow old thread?
                          Last edited by dieselboy; 6 September 2012, 06:47.
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

seals

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post

It didn't go back on an engine though so I don't know if it would have worked.

done mine and refitted with s[are head and new belts and yes as you say it is tricky but no calibration, good pics tho

done mine aswell no probs just needed third hand,good pics

Comment

Awesome im definitley doing it now.
                              well, that was a bad idea!

Comment

Working...
                              X