Noise from clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise from clutch?

Recently my 1993 2.4TD ssr-x surf has started making a light squeak/squeal when the clutch is lifted (foot on the pedal). It does not matter if it is in neutral or in gear for the noise to occur. When the clutch is engaged (foot off pedal) there is no noise at all, even in gear and cruising. Could this be a thrust bearing? The clutch has a good bite that is not at the end of the reach of the pedal. I have not checked the hydraulic fluids for the clutch, so I will check that tomorrow.

Any ideas/opinions would be great!

Cheers Tom

Originally posted by Whelan
    ......Any ideas/opinions would be great!
    ..its buggered! :lol:

seriously, sounds like a case of thrust bearing in need of replacement, trouble is whilst your goin to that level of dis-assembling, your probly as well to do the clutch aswell. mines been noisy since i got it, but unless it starts sounding really rough (like its about to spit out bearings and then sieze!) my intention is to leave it as long as i can and get both done at same time. its a question of tollerance on your part!

..in my case the thrust bearing is one of many rattles/whines/sqeeks, they add character!
    VW Taro (hilux single cab PU) - 31" rubber, H/D springs and shackles, LSD, 4 pot front callipers, 2.4 N/A Flymo engine..

Comment

i think its common that they "sing"

Comment

ideally, you should leave it untill the bearing falls apart... saving time removing it.

you'll know it's that bad cos the pedal will feel a little notchy.
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Cheers for the comments its not that bad at the monmet. I have been trying to solve all the squeaks and rattles but this one is going to have wait! Well I will not worry about it yet, clutch seems to have plenty of bite.

Cheers Tom

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            ideally, you should leave it untill the bearing falls apart... saving time removing it.

you'll know it's that bad cos the pedal will feel a little notchy.
            whats the danger of the thrust bearing seizing up? mines getting to the point of sounding like a bag of spanners in a tumble dryer!

...however, the leaf spring i bust on saturday is the ccurrent priority

wheels or tits = trouble eh?!
            VW Taro (hilux single cab PU) - 31" rubber, H/D springs and shackles, LSD, 4 pot front callipers, 2.4 N/A Flymo engine..

Comment

Originally posted by Whelan
              Cheers for the comments its not that bad at the monmet. I have been trying to solve all the squeaks and rattles but this one is going to have wait! Well I will not worry about it yet, clutch seems to have plenty of bite.

Cheers Tom
              Hi,
              Seeing as your in Cumbria, unless you got a nice warm shed to work in (big enough for the car as well) I wouldn't wait too long....imagine if your clutch failed in say, January....or maybe you like being on your back in a snowstorm...
              Cheers

Peter ( also 55 degrees north)

Comment

Working...
              X