No announcement yet.

6 point ring spanners - who makes 'em ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 point ring spanners - who makes 'em ?

Having had a few 10mm and 12mm bolts round off using normal ring spanners (in places that a wall drive socket won't fit) I've been looking for ring spanners with 6 point wall drive fittings instead of the standard 12 point ones.

Can't find any.

Anyone know who makes these ?

Cheers,
    Rob.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165572

Comment

Snap-On do flank drive spanners too.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Surely they're 12 point like the ones in my Halfords pro kit sitting in my car ?

I'm looking for a ring spanner like these snap on's but at affordable money...
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
          Snap-On do flank drive spanners too.
          Cheers Andy - You posted that while I was searching for the pic.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            Surely they're 12 point like the ones in my Halfords pro kit sitting in my car ?

I'm looking for a ring spanner like these snap on's but at affordable money...

Features and benefits
            • Open ends are angled at 15° to allow greater access in confined spaces
            • Ring ends drive on fastener flats, not corners, to prevent rounding
            • Sizes: 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 19mm

Comment

The Halfords ones and the Snap-On flank drive ones don't use the points of the nut hex for drive, they drive from about 1/3 of the way down the edge (flank/flat) of the hex, so shouldn't round the nut.

The Snap-On ones work well and I've used them to remove worn nuts in the past. I can't comment on the Halfords ones as I've not used them on damaged nuts (yet!).
              Last edited by Albannach; 25 August 2010, 01:05.

Comment

I've been caught out recently by ordering 3 spanners from silverline advertised as 'wall drive' and when they arrived they were exactly the same as normal 12 point ring spanners. I'm guessing Halfords Pro use the same line of advertising..

"Ring ends drive on fastener flats, not corners, to prevent rounding"

Comment

I own the halfords ones already (unless they look like the 6 point ones in the pic I posted) and they are no good for badly corroded nuts.

Comment

They do look the same, but they are different. On the spanner, the points aren't as sharp and the bit between them is much larger and more curved.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                      They do look the same, but they are different. On the spanner, the points aren't as sharp and the bit between them is much larger and more curved.
                      Have a close look at the pic of spanners I posted. That's what I'm looking for. The silverline walldrive spanners are exactly the same as my Halfords Pro spanners so we can assume I already own 12 point wall drive, flank drive or whatever () spanners and they're not cutting the mustard on rusty nuts.

Cheers,
                      Rob.

Comment

Buy a Dremmel then!

Comment

I'd rather buy a 6 point spanner......

Sealey walldrive spanners They seem every bit as good as my halfords pro ones but they are not 'proper' wall drive like the sockets are...

Comment

I have some Snap-On 6 point spanners, so I know what you're looking for. I have only seen them once, so I bought them. And as you say, they are very expensive.

Look at BluePoint, Facom and possibly Britool. I doubt that budget tool suppliers will carry 6 pointers in their spanner ranges.

But as Vince said, a Dremel (or a good set of nut splitters) is probably a better DIY solution.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                              I'd rather buy a 6 point spanner......

Sealey walldrive spanners They seem every bit as good as my halfords pro ones but they are not 'proper' wall drive like the sockets are...
                              Those won't be as good as the Snap-On ones. One Snap-On costs almost as much as that full set. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Working...
                              X