Intercooler on a 2.4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intercooler on a 2.4

As a few of you who have read some of my other posts will know I am working on puting a top mounted intercooler onto my surf. I have swapped the first intercooler I had for another which looks easier to mount. I have gone to an exhaust shop and got some lengths of stainless cut, bent and the diameter increased to fit. I am waiting for some silicone hoses to be made for me. After that all I have to do is fabricate the brackets and it should be all systems go, I am hoping to get this installed before our trip to wales on sunday. (Fingers Crossed).

I will take some photos when I am doing it and post them here.

Why not a front mount? That way you can put in a much larger IC as well as avoid heat soak from your engine. A large FMIC may take slightly longer to pressurize, but once it does your air charge will be much cooler, giving you alot more power at a given level of boost while keeping your EGT lower.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkR
      Why not a front mount? That way you can put in a much larger IC as well as avoid heat soak from your engine. A large FMIC may take slightly longer to pressurize, but once it does your air charge will be much cooler, giving you alot more power at a given level of boost while keeping your EGT lower.
      I have an SSR-G with the towing pack so have a massive transmission oil cooler, and AC rad and the main rad. I cant see where I could put even a small one at the front.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkR
        Front mounts are known to cause pretty wicked turbo lag due to the increased pipework.

Cheers

Comment

http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/performance.htm
          dont know if this is any assistance.

Looked at it last night.
          Geoff
          Rubblebags (Geoff).

Comment

Even though a FMIC will have a little longer pressurization (lag) time because of the extra piping, it will still provide greater power with lower EGTs than a top mount IC. In other words, while a top mount will give you a much quicker throttle response, a front mount will give you much greater power with much less stress to the engine than a top mount. This is whole point of intercooling in the first place.

Of course, if there is nowhere to fit an intercooler in front, then none of that really matters. A top mount is still much better than no IC. One other benefit of a top mount for off-road applications is that the IC on top will be less vulnerable to trail hazards & mud clogging than a front mount.

Comment

update: I got some stainless tubes bent, cut and stretched at a custom exhaust place in exeter yesterday and then went to a company that created custom silicone pipework. I only paid £20 for the stainless but have had to fork out a whopping £170 for the silicone piping I need and have to wait 14 days for it to be fabricated.

All I have to do now is wait, ohh and fabricate some mounts too.

Comment

Working...
              X