X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing coolant no.2

part No.1
    Hi all
    I have a 90 Hilux Surf 2.4 TD with 120,000 miles and have been losing / using coolant. The temperature gauge reaches half way and never ever climbs further. I have to top the reservoir tank from empty after about 400 miles.
    No obvious signs of leaks / drips etc.

Any ideas ? If not I guess it'll be a garage trip.

Thanks

Chris

after some info from the group, I had a good look at it and was alarmed to find that the tube for expanded coolant to flow along from the engine into the plastic expansion chamber is not long enough to reach the bottom of the chamber (only half way). So even though I have been filling up with fluid (to the full level on the expansion chamber), the engine as it cools could only suck in a small amount of fluid until the fluid level drops to the bottom of the hose and the hose is out of the fluid, so in theory the engine coolant level in the engine could be very low but the expansion bottle shows half full. Are other surfs this way ?

will keep my eye on it and get pressure check at garage, will look for longer hose also.

strange how the temp gauge never goes above half way, will get that checked too

Chris

losing coolant

Originally posted by chrisykn850
    part No.1
    Hi all
    I have a 90 Hilux Surf 2.4 TD with 120,000 miles and have been losing / using coolant. The temperature gauge reaches half way and never ever climbs further. I have to top the reservoir tank from empty after about 400 miles.
    No obvious signs of leaks / drips etc.

Any ideas ? If not I guess it'll be a garage trip.

Thanks

Chris

after some info from the group, I had a good look at it and was alarmed to find that the tube for expanded coolant to flow along from the engine into the plastic expansion chamber is not long enough to reach the bottom of the chamber (only half way). So even though I have been filling up with fluid (to the full level on the expansion chamber), the engine as it cools could only suck in a small amount of fluid until the fluid level drops to the bottom of the hose and the hose is out of the fluid, so in theory the engine coolant level in the engine could be very low but the expansion bottle shows half full. Are other surfs this way ?

will keep my eye on it and get pressure check at garage, will look for longer hose also.

strange how the temp gauge never goes above half way, will get that checked too

Chris

But that does not explain the loss of coolant.
    Bob "Hilux"
    Live Life To The Full

Comment

Sounds the same as what happend to me in '02, I changed the pipes & thermostat; had the thing pressure & chemical tested and everything was negative so I finally had the head pulled and they diagnosed "porousity".

From my diary 12.06.02:

UK Cylinder heads say they will recondition my vehicle's head and warranty it for 12 months for £400. They also said they have had quite a few 1KZ-T heads in and the main problem, cracking behind no.1 valve, is caused by overheating. This they say can be remedied by replacing the radiator which obviously gets gummed up after time. The total cost of a recon head, new head set, new head gasket, new head bolts and new radiator plus labour and VAT is £1200.

So I gritted my teeth and had the work done and can say all's well except for a bit of overheating when I've got a full load on and I'm pulling a caravan. I'm now looking at a bonnet vent of some kind to help keep the engine cool.
      @africa4x4cafe
      [url]www.africa4x4cafe.com[/url]

Comment

Check the expansion tank for any leaks.If it is ok you are loosing coolant somewhere else.Check all hose connections and radiator.Also check the water pump for any leakage.If nothing is obvious have the cooling system pressure tested.

Neville

Comment

Possible temporary solution...

Same has just happened to my 1992 2.4TD. In an attempt to save money temporarily I have put Radweld in the radiator - problem solved! Not loosing coolant anymore. I'm sure this is a v.temporary solution - but they dont call me Mr. Bodge-it for nothing. (in fact they dont call me that)(but probably soon will) Cheap experiment though!
          Fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong... Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Billy-knu View Post
            Same has just happened to my 1992 2.4TD. In an attempt to save money temporarily I have put Radweld in the radiator - problem solved! Not loosing coolant anymore. I'm sure this is a v.temporary solution - but they dont call me Mr. Bodge-it for nothing. (in fact they dont call me that)(but probably soon will) Cheap experiment though!
            Well he says its a temporary solution? Why is radweld a bad idea?

Comment

How many years?
              How can I be lost when I've got no where to go

Comment

What's the record I wonder for the oldest post dragged back to life
                My other cars a QUAD
                (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by sv1000spilot View Post
                  What's the record I wonder for the oldest post dragged back to life
                  We need a new set of awards, DOTW, DOTM, & DOTY

Someones asking for Dredger of the Year
                  Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

It's catch 22 isn't it ?

If he'd asked about radweld he'd be told to search....

If he searches and posts a Q on an old thread he gets told to post a new thread.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                      It's catch 22 isn't it ?

If he'd asked about radweld he'd be told to search....

If he searches and posts a Q on an old thread he gets told to post a new thread.

Rob.
                      He's very good at searching by the looks of it. I pesonally think the search function here sucks.

Nev

Comment

Originally posted by fonecrusher1 View Post
                        Why is radweld a bad idea?
                        Any sealant which you place in the coolant system will seal more than just leaks. It has to go somewhere, and the leak, (or leaks), will only take up a small proportion of the sealant, so the rest is effectively clogging your system somewhere.

Comment

Topping up your coolant ??

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthrea...+coolant+alarm

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev View Post
                            He's very good at searching by the looks of it. I pesonally think the search function here sucks.

Nev
                            True so I use google to search this forum - much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Haydn Callow View Post
                              Topping up your coolant ??
                              Mate, we've had this discussion with you before, you sensor is good, I've used it but please don't just drag up years old threads just to pimp it for free.

Join up, participate, help people but more an effort than this please. We've not put all this effort into the forum just for companys to get out of paying for advertising.

Thanks.
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X