Leaking fuel pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking fuel pump

Began to notice the MPG on the surf was suffering (normally 500km on a tank - suddenely dropped to 400). Give away was the smell of diesel when getting out after stopping and the coloured areas of gravel on the drive. Sure enough there's a leak running down the block below the fuel pump and dripping off the sump at a rate of knots when engine is running.

Had the pump overhauled 11 months ago when the top gasket had gone and it was spraying fuel out when revving down. Problem is from above all looks hunky dory, no signs of leak. Fuel is getting out of the pump somewhere around the connection of the pump to block.

Has anyone had similar problems? I guess its not as simple as loose bolts or fuel line connections, nothing ever is with these engines. There's a photo attached showing the leak at the bottom of the pump. Does this mean a pump removal? Can this be done without taking off the aircon hoses?

Cheers
    Scuddy
    Attached Files
    ------------------------------------
    Look out! Ee

I am really happy if I get 400km out of a tank so your not so bad off after all
    Tim
    Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

same here!!!

i was hoping sombody had replyed to this one!! all covered in oil writing this..... have the same problem with mine! if anybody does know where the leaks come from a little knowlage would be great for both of us.
      Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

Comment

Originally posted by speedymacfish
        i was hoping sombody had replyed to this one!! all covered in oil writing this..... have the same problem with mine! if anybody does know where the leaks come from a little knowlage would be great for both of us.
        have a look at http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/fuelpump.htm good luck!
        jim.b.

1990 SSR LTD 2LTE auto
        1985 SR V8 4.4 litre manual

Comment

So you got the head fixed on the Truck Scuddy?
          did you find a good -surf friendly - place in Aberdeenshire to do the work?
          Landcruiser Colorado
          Sub. Forester

Comment

Hi Andy

Yeh had the head done at a local garage in Ellon...the guy is really genuine but had limited experience of surfs..after mine he's an expert!!
            But for £16 an hour + VAT, all I did was supply the parts and pointed him in the right direction.
            Lesson learned after buying a new head with reconditioned running gear is to have the cam/tappet clearances checked before fitting... seems a lot of sellers just cobble the bucket tappets, shims, cam, valves and journal bearings from an old head onto new and don't set up correctly. Result is big clearances and noisy running gear. I ended up stripping the belts and cam myself and changing out the shims to sort the noise out.
            Still the beast has had the leak on the pump sorted (by Turner Diesel in Dyce under warrenty - good on 'em) and is running fine again

What model r u driving and where are u to be found?

cheers
            Scuddy
            ------------------------------------
            Look out! Ee

Comment

Good to hear you are on road again,
              I'm Based in old rayne near Insch, work at baker hughes in dyce - i think weve discussed that before in past.

drive a 1995 3.0 TD UK 4runner as in my sig.

Do you know if the Turner Diesel place in Dyce does injector refurbishment?
              are their prices OK?

This Ellon guy sounds good - i will give you a shout if i have problems and need a garage.

Drum of Wartle Garage (nr Rothienorman) guy passed the truck MOT and he seems keen on 4x4's and works on them a lot - but mainly landies it seems.
              Landcruiser Colorado
              Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
              X