Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!... Fan belt broke!!!

Happy new year guys!
    Heres my story, went to S.Wales lastnight to drop my son off after staying with me for a week, it went 400miles their, but on the way back... 17miles into the trip....
    The cars oil, tbelt, seatbelt etc lights come on the dash and a continious noise, Now i know little about cars... but I had a look under the hood and noticed a belt had come off just behind the fan, (I thought it may have been the timing belt, but i was told the car wouldnt start if it was that) I had a friend confirm that it was the fan belt.
    Ive had to leave it in Wales and catch the train back to Surrey as ive got work at 8am tomoz.
    Now ive been told this belt which has snapped has a few things attached to it, (the power steering belt is still ok so im told though) so its a bigger job than i thought.... can anyone please confirm this and give me a rough price of what this would cost to repair? I just dont want to be ripped off when im 400 miles away from my car.
    So what a start to my new year! I hope all your starts have been MUCH better!

If its just the fan belt then it should only cost about 1 hr labour plus parts ( about £10 should cover it)

Although I'm told the green ones cost more to fix!
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Im told though that aswell as the fan being attached... also attached is 3 or 4 other things, to someone who knows nothing about engines (me) then it looks like a hard and tight job... to be honest... to me it looks like youd have to remove a few parts to be able to put the belt on.

Comment

ok... just in... its...
        Air conditioning belt, the water pump belt and fan belt..... HELP!!!

Comment

Now I'm no mechanic, but I replaced my crank pulley, and that required the removal of all aux belts.

I guess it would take 1 or 2 hrs at most to replace all aux belts, and to be honest it would be best to change all if one or more has gone.
          A set of belts would cost no more than £40.

I think water pump is done by the cam belt ( but don't quote me) I'll check the manual.

Check out milners, or roughtrax.
          ps;
          Ok checked the manual and the w/pump is driven by the aux belts, but apart from thgat I guess the rest stands.

Good luck and happy new year.
          Last edited by plumb bob; 1 January 2007, 18:53.
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

happy new year to everyone....except if you have truck trouble!! (but nothings really that bad) i replaced all the belts on mine not long ago without the aid of a manual, and once the tensioners are released on alternator and aircon adjuster bolt, job ok. shouldnt be much for a trained "mekakik" to do!

Comment

crikey!... which south wales is 400 miles from surrey??
              you sure you took the right route?
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Yeah its easy, a bit fiddley on a 2.4 but not to much trouble. P/S is the trickest to reach, but if you remove the pass. side battery its easier.

You have 4 belts, 2 for the alternator, 1 Aircon and 1 power steering. Put them on in that order.

Hard to warrent more than £50-70 for whole job including the belts.
                4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

ok, cheers guys.. atleast ive a little bit more knowledge on the matter now! oh... and South Wales (Pembroke Dock) which is around 379 miles away from Surrey... Maybe not 400miles... but close enough

Comment

This is a relatively simple job, especially for a mech. Order the belts and ask for a labour price. No more than an hours labour. I did all the belts on my 3.0lt and it only took half an hour, not sure about the 2.4 though.

Comment

Working...
                    X