Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Petrol vs diesel surf

To all petrol surf owners!
    Just last year I had a very bad experience with a 3td surf, It ate my wallet and then told me that it had a cracked block and all sorts. I fell back on the planets most reliable car (civic) but now I'm yearning for a surf again.

So how reliable is the 3.0v6? And honestly? . . Is it an engine that needs "special treatment" like the diesels. I've heard about the gasket issue but i'm assuming that's not that big a deal?

Gasket and drink problems for the V6.

The 2.7 produces the same amount of horse power (150) and can do up to 34 mpg.

Comment

The 3 litre V6 (certainly the auto) will manage 20mpg on a good day. The head gasket issue is quite a big deal because you've got two of them. It's quite a nice engine, fairly smooth and reasonably responsive, but it's not bursting with torque and is not a good match for the gearbox. Having driven a manual too, they are somewhat better.

As Vince says, the 2.7 petrol seems fine. There is also the 3.4 V6, which is apparently a massive improvement on the 3.0 and is not as thirsty, but will still enjoy a drink.

Comment

I have the 5vz-fe (3.4 V6 petrol lump, same as in Gen3 Hilux Surf) in my Granvia.
        Very happy with it. 19-26 mpg. (Generally early 20's - last fill up was 23mpg). Smooth, powerful and quiet, 183 bhp and plenty of torque. Doesn't use a drop of oil.

Comment

Funnily enough, I had a similar occurance, only the other way around - I had a V6 petrol which died (head gasket, leading to seized engine), so bought a Civic and then yearned for a surf again!

Now I'm (so far, touch wood), happily driving a 3L diesel with no issues whatsoever. Personally, I prefer the diesel. Feels like much better low down grunt, and it doesn't feel much (if any) slower. Although the petrol was an auto and my diesel is a manual...

Comment

Cant comment on the 3.0V6, but the 2.7i 16V is MUCH quicker off the mark and at A road overtaking speeds than my old 3.0TD - and more economical to boot!

Dont recall ever seeing the 3.4 in a Surf on these shores as yet, but nearly bought a Colorado with one in. Its a sweet engine by all accounts, though rather thirsty in a Colorado - apparently thirstier than it is in a Granvia!
            Last edited by Apache; 18 April 2011, 11:34.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I have driven, the 2.4 and 3ltr diesels, the ltr is 100 times better.
              I have had a race between the 3.0 diesel and 3.0 petrol and the petrol just won, the diesel is probably a bit more fun off the mark but after that I dont think there is much in it.
              The 3.0 v6 is quieter than the 2.7 and I think feels better (very on scientific that) also I dont think the 2.7 is as responsive.
              Never driven the 3.4 or the 3.4 supercharged (I wish one day). But they are supposedly good.
              I would add one other thing though and that is if your buying the petrol then i am sure you are thinking about lpg, if thats the case then go for the 2.7. firstly its a bit newer so you will have less age related electrical issues, and secondly the V6 just does not seem to be 100% happy on lpg (or at least for any length of time!!)

Comment

Originally posted by truckarms View Post
                the diesel is probably a bit more fun off the mark but after that I dont think there is much in it.
                Really??

My 2.7 is WAY quicker off the mark than my 3.0TD was. I don't mean a little bit, I mean MUCH quicker.

Cant say I've heard the V6, but I've forgotten mine is running once or twice and have turned the key...

Anyway - there's a 2.7 3rd gen for sale on here for a grand! Anyone looking for a Surf who dismisses that is bonkers!
                Last edited by Apache; 18 April 2011, 14:26.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Thanks for all the replys!
                  I can't kid myself any longer - I wouldn't be happy with a petrol.
                  I just don't want to buy a 3.0td thats over heated before. That's when all the problems start and there's no way of telling if it's overheated in the past, surfs seem to disguise the fact pretty well. I know from personal experience that overheat = new head.

It's definitely a 2nd gen I'm after - they have the true hilux look about them.

Comment

Why didn't you say 2nd gen in the thread title.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                      Why didn't you say 2nd gen in the thread title.
                      Well, he did say 3.0 V6 in the first post.....

Comment

Buy a 2nd gen with a fooked engine for cheap and in several weeks I'll sell you a 3ltr lump with less than 80 thou miles which has had a new head and runs like a sewing machine

Comment

Originally posted by gbv2 View Post
                          Buy a 2nd gen with a fooked engine for cheap and in several weeks I'll sell you a 3ltr lump with less than 80 thou miles which has had a new head and runs like a sewing machine
                          Really? How long does this offer stand for?

Comment

Originally posted by broseph View Post
                            Really? How long does this offer stand for?
                            From May 18th as it'll be in my way whilst I'm fitting the V8.

Comment

Forgot about this thread

Pushed back now to mid June but it's there if anyone's interested.

Comment

Working...
                              X