@ S Car Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• @ S Car Go

Could you do me a favour and double check the piping on my egr ? I've lost the pic I took so have had to guess it

Cheers,
    Rob.

Here's where I think they go:
    Attached Files

No worries- found a pic in the manual.Just need to swap the 2 pipes on the black vsv.

Comment

Hi Rob,
      Thats exactly how mine came off,but the Toyota manual seems to contradict this. It calls No 2 valve B and No 1 valve A (top one black and bottom one brown) If you look at the reference on the back of each valve,the black one ends B and the Brown one ends A. The connector plugs are handed so not interchangeble.

When I can work out how to copy and paste the page of the manual I will.

Regards

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        No worries- found a pic in the manual.Just need to swap the 2 pipes on the black vsv.

Opps Yeh sorry did'nt notice that!!

Comment

So yours looked exactly like my pic ? I had to stretch the pipe a bit to fit it how the manual says.

Rob.

Comment

Manual.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
              So yours looked exactly like my pic ? I had to stretch the pipe a bit to fit it how the manual says.

Rob.
              Thats the page I was trying to attach Rob.
              Did you check the ref No's on the bottom of your VSV's?

Where did you buy your head? I'm ordering mine tommrow!
              Regards

Mark

Comment

I haven't checked the vsv's yet - I'm about to go out and remove my old block so will have a look after if I get the time.

Will have a look on ebay for a couple of cheap vacuum gauges to test the setup once it's all back together.(hopefully before Christmas knowing the speed I work at )

I bought the head / gasket and bolts from R'trax.

Cheers for the input ,

Rob.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Well thunderstorm has stopped play so I had a look at the vsv's . Black one is on right, according to manual does actuator A. Has an 'A' on end of longer part number.

Brown one is on left, has no 'A' or 'B' on end of longer number, does actuator B according to manual.

Hopefully storm will go away soon - only have to unbolt flexplate and lift engine out.

Rob.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for that Rob,

Looks like it's just my truck,My black one is suffixed b and the brown one a,although the brown one is difficult to read.
                    Looks like I need a vacuum gauge as well to work things out when she's purring again.

Wish it would rain here! it's currently mid thirtys and almost unbearable outside!!!

Comment

More info for anyone who searches.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Mark - This is what I will try for a start. I will test once the truck is running again.

Rob.
                        Attached Files

Comment

checking egr.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Am I the only one not making sense of that testing procedure. If I get vacuum to both ports on the vacuum diaphragm on the 2.4, then it will choke the engine so much it belches black smoke, and unburnt diesel and conks out.

What I am now thinking is that although the system is basically the same, it's the small butterfly that is operated differently on the 3Ltr. What I mean here is that vacuum is required to open the valve, whereas on the 2.4 it is used to close it. Make any sense to anybody.

Well, not to me, because it says vacuum is applied at shutdown which is when the buttrfly should close.

I'll go back and try to makes sense out of it.

Nev
                            Last edited by NiftyNev; 21 August 2012, 04:32.

Comment

Nev - definitely needs vacuum to close the valve on the 3.0. Lower pipe partially closes, lower plus upper totally closes.

I have a toyota pdf I can email you which also states egr does not operate at idle. I don't think its for any particular model though.

I was assuming that as you added exhaust gas to the mix you would have to lower the amount of intake air to allow room for the exhaust gasses to fit ?

tbh I've never really looked into the egr in this much detail so this is all new to me.

Rob.

Comment

Working...
                              X