Hypoid Gear Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypoid Gear Oil

The general servicing info specifies Hypoid gear oil for front and rear diffs. How is this different from normal gear, as the guy in the motor factors says its all the same. So i put some semi-sythetic 75w-90 gear oil in my front diff. Is this ok, anyone?
    Cheers
    Del
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Originally posted by Delboy
    The general servicing info specifies Hypoid gear oil for front and rear diffs. How is this different from normal gear, as the guy in the motor factors says its all the same. So i put some semi-sythetic 75w-90 gear oil in my front diff. Is this ok, anyone?
    Cheers
    Del
    The hypoid bit really refers to the type of gears, so once you use an oil designed for the application you should be fine. Does the servicing info you refered to also specify a weight of oil to use? If it merely says hypoid, I'd say you're fine with the 75/90
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
      The hypoid bit really refers to the type of gears, so once you use an oil designed for the application you should be fine. Does the servicing info you refered to also specify a weight of oil to use? If it merely says hypoid, I'd say you're fine with the 75/90

Thats what i have used in mine
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Used the same in mine too. Been in for a few thou without any problems. Just watch you don't get it on you as it stinks and really does need to be scrubbed off.
        Everything's easy, when you know how!

Comment

I was always told as an apprentice that 'Some oil is better then no oil'

Rick
          Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Cheers Fellas, thats cool! Its actually the servicing sticky here that says hypoid!
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
            [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

I recently bought oils for replacing same in my diffs - I used the data from this link: http://www.4runners.org/articles/difftsf/

I know that's a US site, and that it refers to 4Runners, but surely the diffs are the same?

The girl in the motor factors told me that all gear oil was the same and that no type of gear oil would harm any type of diff. She also said that "80W90" and "75W90" referred to mixes of 80 weight & 90 weight oils, and 75 weight & 90 weight oils, respectively.

I was of the understanding that, for example, "75W90" referred to the temperature range (min and max) that the oil will perform optimally/effectively/efficiently?

By chance, there was a mechanic at the counter waiting to be served (I knew he was a mechanic, cos he had overalls on...), and he said that a hypoid diff has the gears higher in the casing, and definitely needs Extreme Pressure hypoid 80W90 gear oil (as listed on the above link), and that the front diff of a hilux (not necessarily a Surf) is not a hypoid diff, so requires regular 75W90 gear oil, but that the EP hypoid 80W90 would not do any harm in there.

He also said that putting regular 75W90 in the rear would not be as good as putting hypoid 80W90 in there.

So I bought EP hypoid 80W90 for the rear and regular 75W90 for the front. I haven't done the job yet, so I'm open to being told any of this is wrong...

Hope it helps.

Mark
              :

Comment

I'll make sure i get hypoid for the rear then.
                Cheers
                Derek :
                1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Working...
                X