Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic transmission/transfer box squealing noise

Hi guys I need your expert opinions.

I was rally marshaling last weekend and my truck developed a squealing noise.

I got it up in the air this weekend hoping to fine a stone lodged somewhere!!!

No joy.

The noise only happens for a few seconds when accelerating then goes if on a run will not make any noise until you pull up the pull away again.

it sounds like it is coming from the transfer or auto box.

I replaced the transfer box oil and replaced the yearly transmission fluid refresh still no joy still makes the noise which i can only describe as a metal on metal scraping noise which is quite high pitched and sounds like a stone lodged in a guard rubbing against a prop.

I have looked down the forum lists and i have not found this issue anywhere. am I looking at a transfer box component or is it something more serious.

Many thanks in advance.

It'll the rear propshaft U/Js.
    The one at the axle end most likely.

Comment

cheers Bushwhacker I noticed play in the UJ to the diff that accounts for a clunk when changing from forward to reverse (ordered from roughtrax last night) but what is causing the temporary squeal is there any shim plates in the bearing on the end of the transfer as it sounds like it is there or as you say the UJ at the transfer end?

Cheers for your response.

rob in MK

Comment

Are you sure it's not a slipping belt?
        I have a high pitched squeal that sounds exactly like a bearing metal on metal kind of sound but it's just one of the alternator belts that is loose.
        If I spray a bit of water on it it goes quite for a minute.
        Worth a look?

Comment

Hello I thought about that when I had it in the air all three belts are tight, and the noise only happens for about 15 seconds when under initial load or accelerating totally fine when cruising.

I will run some water down there when I get over to it this weekend just to rule it out

Proper head scratcher

cheers for your reply,

Rob in MK

Comment

Sorted

After everything discussed the UJ was the issue the noise was an amplification up the propshaft.

never see that before.

Thanks for all your advise guys.

Rob in MK

Comment

Just as bushwaker said.
              SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Working...
              X