yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sylex - A Long Long Journey to V8 Awesomeness!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I thought he was talking about what was in the actual pic

Comment

• The left cam oil seal was clearly bodged with some goop. The complete engine overhaul kit that's coming includes new seals. But to get at them I'll have to delve into the world of cam removal...which I'm not confident of (making a whole mess of timings etc). We'll see. I'm a bit off that, yet.

Comment

• When you say goop, was it a light grey colour?
        Is so then thats the original factory sealant.
        Cam seals never leak, at least I've never seen them leak either personally or on-line, so maybe leave them alone?
        These engines have been known to cover half a million miles with just regular oil changes.

Under the valve covers looks in very good condition by the way, I've seen a lot worse. The left side is always browner due to the crank case breather.

Comment

• It was black but there was grey. I removed one of the seal caps to see if I could get the pulley back plates out (which I can) as they're corroded.

Always thought factory used proper gaskets and never the goop. Good to know.

The do look alright in the pic but there is slight (very) surface rust on a few of the cams. Might just be dirt...but it looks like surface rust.

What's the best way to clean up? Brake cleaner...or is that a no no inside?

Comment

• Any surface rust on the cam lobes should rub off easily with a rag and WD40.
            Once you've cleaned them off, dribble some clean engine oil over them and re-fit the valve covers.
            Looking at the photos, they look fine anyway.

Comment

• Magic

I'll have a bunch of new seals to fit also. I'll leave all the head and stuff unless a new acquaintance can help me out. Still...I have two if I make a meal of things

ps. What engine oil do YOU use on these?

Comment

• ps. What engine oil do YOU use on these?[/QUOTE]

It's in the parts list.

Comment

• Course, oops. 5w30 Fully Synthetic

Just seen the list and it's been updated, lately. So I need a Soarer oil filter bracket? That wasn't always there :/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sylux View Post
                    Course, oops. 5w30 Fully Synthetic

Just seen the list and it's been updated, lately. So I need a Soarer oil filter bracket? That wasn't always there :/
                    Yeah, I added that recently after Zem41 said he got Soarer filter bracket from Toyota, and that it costs roughly the same as a remote filter set-up.

Comment

• Ah. So there's interference issues with the LS400's?

I like the idea of a remote filter but I think I remember you saying it's better to keep the filter close.

I love the idea of the remote power steering reservoir you did on one of them (or in one of those pics).

Guess I need to hunt a ###### Soarer oil filter bracket, now

Comment

• I'm guessing I'll have to re-jig the oil cooler pipework? Plus, will the sensor swap over?

Comment

I'm guessing I'll have to re-jig the oil cooler pipework? Plus, will the sensor swap over?
                          Just bypass the oil cooler by linking the coolant hoses together i.e. replace with one new section of hose, s'wot I do.
                          The cooler doesn't really do much, probably why Lexus deleted it when they fitted the 1UZ inti the Soarer.

The sensor will still fit/work, but if you're fitting An auxillary oil pressure gsuge, you'll need a 1/8" NPT tap to rethread the hole.
                          Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 23 July 2014, 23:15.

Comment

• Cheers, Vince I'll just keep the sensor and delete the cooler as suggested.

Comment

• Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              If you fit the Tundra headers?
                              I would say no because your engine sits lower due to the sump modifications.
                              Thanks; just considering options for the future when the MOT man finally says I can't keep the exhaust the way it is (nothing to do with possible power gains of course).

Comment

I thought he was talking about what was in the actual pic
                                I should've made it a bit clearer... I was talking about space for the Tundra headers.

Cheers anyway, always nice to have your distance appreciated

Comment

Working...
                                X