No announcement yet.

Black smoke and misfire on idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done, it was my first suspicion that the head job had been bodged...

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
      Well done, it was my first suspicion that the head job had been bodged...
      So what you are saying is, "I hate to say I told you so, but...!"

Glad you got it sorted, it sounds like a mission!
      Not allowed 1) tools 2) matches 3) sharp objects

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas A. Swift View Post
        So what you are saying is, "I hate to say I told you so, but...!"

Glad you got it sorted, it sounds like a mission!
        Sounds that way but very true lol
        Happy Surfing!

Comment

Pics

Just thought I would post some pics of the remains of the cylinder head gasket.
          Iv never seen one this bad, what amazes me is the fact it still ran. Apart from the odd miss fire and the black smoke that is lol

The head sustained some damage between the cylinders but that skimmed off.
          Attached Files
          Happy Surfing!

Comment

Wow, how long (or miles) since the "head job" was done, from your initial posts it didn't sound very long ago. Do you think that they reused the original gasket?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Kingston View Post
              Wow, how long (or miles) since the "head job" was done, from your initial posts it didn't sound very long ago. Do you think that they reused the original gasket?
              The head was fitted last year (it has a 2016 date stamp on it anyway).
              The gasket must of been the original, it was completely knackered.
              The lad I bought the surf off knows all the details so I hope he chases it up with his local garage. This surf is a dam good example of Exactly the reason why I work on everything I own and they never go near a garage. Even my Cayenne is pampered at home using genuine parts, just because I find it hard to trust garage.

I always take plenty of pictures of every job I do just in case lol.

I originally bought the Gen2 for its wheels and tyres, but it is too good to scrap so I decided to fix the issues the previous owner had. The lad must be gutted because by the looks of things he has spent a fortune!

Plus is nice to have a fleet of Surfs lol, I now have a Gen2 and a Gen3.
              Happy Surfing!

Comment

Working...
              X