Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heads

Posted by sewerat
    Just found this article on the Ossie Surf site, interesting.

"I recently bought a 1993 Hilux Surf V6 (3VZ-E motor) backed by an AA / Swann Insurance 3-year warranty. After <1000km the head gasket blew at the right bank, rear cylinder water jacket - the block was badly corroded around the jacket edges. It needed a skim and rematch with the heads – over NZ$3000. The AA refused to pay as their warranty excludes failures caused by corrosion. The mechanics at the Toyota dealership said the failure was caused by poor servicing / insufficient coolant changes. I didn’t believe them.

I had heard of head gasket problems with these motors (Surfs and Camrys) and that there was a recall for NZ new 3VZ-E vehicles in NZ in 1998. My vehicle was imported from Japan in 1999. I contacted Toyota Motor Corporation through Toyota NZ and established (with the VIN number) that my vehicle should have been recalled in Japan in 1997/98. In the manufacture of these engines, Toyota used a type of head gasket that had a specific compound that reacted adversely with the coolant and caused corrosion of the block.

As such, Toyota Motor Corporation ACCEPTED LIABILITY for the failure without any fuss whatsoever and paid me out for the cost of the repair 2 weeks later! This was negotiated very smoothly through the people at the Toyota NZ call centre. All I had to do was produce the repair invoice and have the mechanic at the dealership confirm to Toyota NZ that the block was corroded. Toyota NZ said that as the vehicle was subject to a recall it should have been fixed in Japan, and as it wasn’t, TMC was happy to pay.

I am aware that there are LOADS of Toyota V6 cars / 4x4s out there that have blown head gaskets due to block corrosion. I have spoken to several Toyota dealership mechanics around the country and indeed, they have seen this problem many times. I am told by Toyota NZ that if the VIN number of these vehicles corresponds with the pre-export recall listing in Japan, the owner is eligible for a refund.

If you’ve suffered the pain of a big hole in your pocket, dig out your invoice and give it a go! Feel free to contact me if you wish."

Making no comments, just posting info.

Sewerat Bob

Well out of curiosity and my overflowing problem I thought i would try and find out.
    Rang dealers, want to know about recalls ok sir ring 01737 363633 Toyota customer relations.
    TCR, hello
    Me, I would like to know about recalls please
    TCR, ok whats the chasis/frame number
    TCR, what vehicle is that
    Me, Hilux Surf
    TCR, Oh a grey import, no i Haven't any recalls for that vehicle.
    Me, do you have any recalls for the Surfs
    TCR, no they are Japanese
    Me, are they really you do surprise me, so Toyota isn't a Japanese
    company then
    TCR, yes we are but we are not Japanese
    Me Huh, sorry i must have the wrong number thought this was Toyota
    a world wide company
    TCR, yes thats us but we are in the uk
    Me, ok so can you help me with my question
    TCR, no because they are Japanese and we dont know about them we
    only sell British Toyota,s
    Me, you mean i have been lied to all this time and Toyota is really a
    British company
    TCR, no well yes, but we dont know about the surfs
    Me, but I know there have been recalls so why don't you have a list
    TCR, because its made in Japan and you didn't buy it here
    Me, yes i did, bought from a garage in Bedford and?????
    TCR, we don't have any data on them, if it was a world wide safety
    recall we would, but it was a special service recall only to
    Japan and Australia where thet are distributed not here
    Me, so Toyota isn't a world wide company then
    TCR, yes we are
    Me, so you dont really care about me and my problem cause I got an
    import
    TCR, yes we do
    Me, Oh good so how are you going to help me
    TCR, like i said we don't anything about surf's and it was a local recall
    Me, so if you don't know about surf's how do you know it was a local
    recall and that surf's are only distrubuted in Japan and Aus
    TCR, like i said we dont have any data here
    Me, so your not willing to find out or honour any recalls from Japan
    even though its a Toyota and your Toyota
    TCR , as i said we don't hold any data here
    Me, your begining to bore me know you sound like a record thats got
    stuck.so you really dont care about your customers, well i won't
    buy any more of your UK cars, watchdog did a programme on
    manufactuers that isolated people who own imports I'll give them
    a ring instead.
    TCR, Well i could....
    Me, no thanks t**t see you on tele

Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

i like that , i wish we could get somthing from toyota to the costof a new head as mine went due to bad corrosion problems, but i think that the part missing is v6 motors , they had a big recal in the states for that but not the 4 or 8s so i think it was never seen as a problem by toyota.
    so much to do , so little money , so little time

Comment

Originally posted by surffreak
      i like that , i wish we could get somthing from toyota to the costof a new head as mine went due to bad corrosion problems, but i think that the part missing is v6 motors , they had a big recal in the states for that but not the 4 or 8s so i think it was never seen as a problem by toyota.

in reply to my previous post.

I gave it a couple of hours and tried my luck again

TCR, hello
      Me, hello i'd like to know about recalls
      TCR, ok what vehicle sir
      Me, Hilux Surf
      TCR, oh ok could you hang on, puts me on hold
      TCR, how di you hear about these recalls
      Me, through my web site and forum, maybe you have heard of it
      www.hiluxsurf.co.uk said with tongue in cheek its had 30,000 hits
      TCR, oh hang on please, on hold again
      TCR, do you know what the recalls were for
      Me, oh yes
      TCR, ok sir hang on, on hold again
      TCR, do you this problem with your vehicle
      Me, yes
      TCR, ok please hold, on hold again
      TCR, I am not promising anything but i will look in to this and contact
      toyota Japan for some further information.
      Me, highly surprised oh ok
      TCR, may i take you name and number, it may take a couple of days to
      find this info out and if it was recalled i will need to refer it to the
      appropriate people to lokk in to it.
      Me, thanks, can i have your name so when you dont ring me i know
      who i spoke to
      TCR, yes sir its 'gives me her name' i can assure you i will ring you back.

Now either she was new and kept putting on hold to ask someone what to do, or she put me on hold and was telling everyone its that bloke who's going to contact watchdog and was taking advice as to how to handle my query this time. I don't know but look forward to her call?????

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Well done Koi, keep at em m8, must admit i did wonder where the message had gone.
        By the way the guy who had the recall work done was in NZ.

Hope Toyota comes up with the goods but like everyone else ???

Maybe they have a mole on the forum, to monitor our messages

Sewerat Bob
        [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Sewerat
          Well done Koi, keep at em m8, must admit i did wonder where the message had gone.
          By the way the guy who had the recall work done was in NZ.

Hope Toyota comes up with the goods but like everyone else ???

Maybe they have a mole on the forum, to monitor our messages

Sewerat Bob
          Yes they did say i was outside Japan and it was a local recall, so i said yes but Toyota NZ honoured the recall and Surfs are not distributed there so does Toyota not operate a single rule, if its good for one then....... just wait for that call now????

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Good work Nigel. Local Toyota people dont want anything to do with surfs coz they dont make any money from them, but we here in surfland have all bought 2nd hand vehicles so we never were in the market for a new Toyota to start with. It doesnt make sense. We all buy genuine parts from time to time. If TMC would possibly foot the bill for repairs to eligible vehicles with defective gaskets, then why arent Toyota Local looking for the work??? Is it a publicity thing, cant see why if people are having the problems and its a known thing anyway...

Comment

Good luck, Toyota should stand by their product, no matter where it was made. If it deserves a recall in Japan, it should where ever the car is being used.

I know I did a lot of reasearch on the V6 petrol Head Gasket problem when we first got our 4Runner, in the US, some people were getting complete motors for free, some paying labour only, some getting just the head job free. Seems like the respose varies from dealer to dealer. In the US, the dealers do the warrenty work, then get thier money back from Toyota.

In the UK, so few Runners were sold that not many dealers know about it, in the US it was a 'rolling service campain' not a recall, no limit on milage or age, but not advertised. If someone bought a car in, its was sorted out, but no notices where handed out about recalling all the cars. they waited till it went wrong, and sorted the ones that did.

Turns ours were done just before I got the Runner, on his 2 year used car warrenty after finding coolant in the exhaust, by a dealer who just assumed it was a regular blown headgasket and sorted them out with new gaskets (hopefully the improved ones).
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

koi, hows the head, just wondered if you've stripped it yet or waiting for the phone call first
                [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                [size=5][/size]
                [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini
                  koi, hows the head, just wondered if you've stripped it yet or waiting for the phone call first
                  Stripping head on Monday and will chase Toyota for an answer, I feel a second threat to watch dog coming on.

My 4x4
                  My choice
                  Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                    Stripping head on Monday and will chase Toyota for an answer, I feel a second threat to watch dog coming on.

Chased wonderful wonderful Toyota UK yesterday, they are still waiting on Japan to get back to them, allegedly.
                    So the wait goes on.

My 4x4
                    My choice
                    Back off

Comment

ive got 2 mates who both work at seperate dealerships i will try & make enquiries, i also had a customer who audits uk dealerships if i can find him i will put the question to him
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                      (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
                        ive got 2 mates who both work at seperate dealerships i will try & make enquiries, i also had a customer who audits uk dealerships if i can find him i will put the question to him
                        Thanks, would be good to see an insiders opinion on this.

My 4x4
                        My choice
                        Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                          Chased wonderful wonderful Toyota UK yesterday, they are still waiting on Japan to get back to them, allegedly.
                          So the wait goes on.

Well i havent chased Toyota since the post above thought i would wait and see if they would get back to me.
                          Today a phone call from Toyots UK and.........

The very kind lady at Toyota said they have just received a letter back from Toyota Japan and it reads..............

We can confirm that engine number LN130??????? frame number ????????? was not on the list for recalls under the local service recall notice.

So i asked her if it had been did Toyota Japan give any guidance on what would/could/may of have happened, supply new one free pay for the costs etc.
                          She said she really couldn't say and that Toyota Japan had just stated in the letter that mine was not on the recall list.

So folks at least they looked for me and got back to me albeit a fair while had elapsed but she said it was due to waiting from a response from Japan. So if they are willing to at least put the question to Toyota Japan heres the number 01737 363633 you don't get if you don't try.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

ive still had no feedback from 2 mates who are mechanics at toyota
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                              Well i havent chased Toyota since the post above thought i would wait and see if they would get back to me.
                              Today a phone call from Toyots UK and.........

The very kind lady at Toyota said they have just received a letter back from Toyota Japan and it reads..............

We can confirm that engine number LN130??????? frame number ????????? was not on the list for recalls under the local service recall notice.

So i asked her if it had been did Toyota Japan give any guidance on what would/could/may of have happened, supply new one free pay for the costs etc.
                              She said she really couldn't say and that Toyota Japan had just stated in the letter that mine was not on the recall list.

So folks at least they looked for me and got back to me albeit a fair while had elapsed but she said it was due to waiting from a response from Japan. So if they are willing to at least put the question to Toyota Japan heres the number 01737 363633 you don't get if you don't try.
                              nigel, phoned that number, not very helpful, toyota surf wasnt built for uk market etc, we have no info, cant do that, we are toyota uk, i said you must be able to find out from toyota in japan because a friend of mine has just received conformation from you that his isnt on the list, got snotty asked for my details said we'll get back to you
                              Last edited by gemini; 19 September 2003, 14:07.
                              [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
                              [size=5][/size]
                              [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Working...
                              X