Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch/Transmission Noise

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 1995 Surf SSRX 3.0L Diesel (1KZ-TE engine) with manual gearbox. I have previously owned a 1994 auto but decided I would prefer a manual for towing and to negotiate the ups and downs of the Cornish landscape.

It was a private sale and when I saw the Surf I realised that both inner CV boots where split and would need attention, so I negotiated a £400 discount to cover the work. One boot has a small slit and is flicking oil/grease around the immediate area. The other boot is completed in two halves and is totally dry in the immediate vicinity.

However, having driven it home (some 200+ miles) I realised that the transmission was much noisier than the automatic I had owned and the noise seemed to change tone as the speed increased. The noise appears to come in as the revs increase in each gear and is more pronounced in the higher gears. As I write this it has dawned on me that it may be more speed related than gear related. I have not yet checked it over fully but hoped someone could point me in the right direction as to where to look first, as there are so many possibilities.

My other major concern is the fact that I now realise that the louder than normal 'diesel'/'tappet' noise at idle is, infact, transmission related. At idle the noise sounds like a loud/noisy diesel engine running. However, when the clutch is depressed the noise quitens down to what I would call a normal Surf disel engine level.

I have read about the Toyota dual-mass flywheel and wondered if this could be the culprit?

The car has supposedly done just over 56,000 miles and if this is the case I think it would pobably still have the original flywheel. The noise at idle appears to come from forward of the actual gearbox, thats why I think it maybe clutch/flywheel reated.

Any help you can give on either of the points mentioned would be gratefully received.

Many thanks
    Last edited by Panrixx; 25 July 2005, 19:23. Reason: Added extra info
    Brian

It might be the flywheel but the more likely option is probably the clutch release baring on it's way out, especially if it disappears when you dip the clutch. Had that on previous vehicles (Surf's an auto) and sounded really horrid until I got it done. Could also feel a rumble through the clutch pedal with the pedal depressed.

The CV joints will need doing very quickly, especially if one is dry as that will wear it out double quick. Give it a very good examiniation before you decide just to replace the boot as you could be storing up expensive work for the near future.
    Mike G

Comment

Originally posted by Tallyman
      It might be the flywheel but the more likely option is probably the clutch release baring on it's way out, especially if it disappears when you dip the clutch. Had that on previous vehicles (Surf's an auto) and sounded really horrid until I got it done. Could also feel a rumble through the clutch pedal with the pedal depressed.

The CV joints will need doing very quickly, especially if one is dry as that will wear it out double quick. Give it a very good examiniation before you decide just to replace the boot as you could be storing up expensive work for the near future.
      Yes to the above: I also (based on your description) think it most likely to be clutch release bearing /throw out bearing. When you have clutch /box out there may well be need to fit new clutch plate AND check pressure plate for spring wear.....

You can get new cv joints from www.comline.uk.com and ask them about the clutch parts (although they dont list them ) but there are plenty of suppliers in uk now.

Comment

Working...
      X