No announcement yet.

Tiptronic (semi-automatic) gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt, the chip I'm using is a PIC16F677 - http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/41262D.pdf
    Andy
    http://www.surfingafrica.net

Comment

I'll be nipping out to the workshop in a bit, so I'll dig it out and see what it is. If I recall correctly, I think it's a Microchip Picstart Plus, but I'll double check.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
        I'll be nipping out to the workshop in a bit, so I'll dig it out and see what it is. If I recall correctly, I think it's a Microchip Picstart Plus, but I'll double check.
        That's exactly the one I was using at Uni, so it would certainly be compatible.
        Andy

Comment

Hey Matt, while you're out there, have a look for those radios you've got
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Hey Matt, while you're out there, have a look for those radios you've got
            Alinco's? Does tha wannem na then? I know where they are, if so. I have to keep shifting the buggers out of my way. P.M me your address and I'll get em off to you.

Comment

Originally posted by adpsimpson View Post
              That's exactly the one I was using at Uni, so it would certainly be compatible.
              Dug it out and that's the one. Must be losing my touch. I've even kept the serial lead and original P.S.U with it. I'm a sod for just chucking those in boxes normally. P.M me your address and I'll get it off to you.

Btw, do you want me to dig the software and books out for it too? Should have those knocking about somewhere, but haven't found, (fully looked), for those yet.

Comment

Sent you a PM Matt, thanks very much. Pressure's on now eh?
                Andy

Comment

Pressure's on now eh?
                  Only if you class the fact that this thread is now being monitored from both sides of the pond as pressure.

Comment

Got the programmer in the post today, many thanks for that. Have just ordered up a few other bits and pieces off ebay, and will give this whole shebang a bit of time again in the next few days.
                    Andy

Comment

Got the programmer in the post today
                      Sweet. I wasn't sure if it would get there today. Did it arrive intact? Don't know if you've opened it yet, btw, but there is also a 16F84? in there with it, (in the little black carrier box).

Comment

Did you manage to appropriate a copy of the software for it?

Comment

What ever happened to this??

Was eagerly awaiting a finished article.......
                          Mark

If it ain't sunk.....it ain't junk.

Comment

This looks like a great idea. Did you ever put the circuit diagram together for the CMOS gates?

Comment

Hi guys, sorry I've slacked off posting here for a while.

I got this to the stage of a working prototype, but was thrown by a couple of things. Firstly there's a warning light comes on when the truck realises that it doesn't have control of the kickdown function any more, and secondly there was the slight niggling doubt that something I was doing was going to end up costing me lots of money in repairs.

The control logic is pretty simple - there are two output signals, which need to change according to two inputs. The counter chip took care of the current state. A third I/O is the lockup solenoid, which is semi-independent of the others.

However if anyone else is going to give it a go, I'd strongly recommend using either a PIC or an Arduino - Arduinos are probably the best idea, they come with a small programming board that you can slot straight into your computer, and are supposedly uber simple to work with. The control logic is the easiest bit - putting together the hardware (the signals each need controlled with a relay, and changing them can cause all sorts of spikes) is the hard bit. At least the Arduino simplifies that slightly - I had 10 ICs on my prototype board.

I got this far with no electronics experience at all, so it's really not hard. the chips are dirt cheap, I think I spent about £20 in total. My one fear is that the solenoids in the gear box may be more sensitive than I'm banking on and running them like this for a long time may damage them.

Matt kindly donated a PIC programmer to me for this an my current project, which I need to get back on to. It's related - it's a monitor for important temperatures, current gear etc, displayed on an nice wee screen in the centre dash. It's in a woefully unfinished state just now, but I'll be on it again soon.
                              Andy

Comment

I was playing with my ECU last night. Added the LEDs but they don't seem to be behaving as I was expecting them to. Do some of the ECUs have different pinouts?

Comment

Working...
                                X