Underseal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underseal

Has everyone undersealed their Surf before taking it off road or do you not bother. I know that Koi has but what about everyone else? and if you have did you use a big paint brush or spray it on? I am a bit concerned, especially at this time of year.

Steve

Originally posted by cheezygrinon
    Has everyone undersealed their Surf before taking it off road or do you not bother. I know that Koi has but what about everyone else? and if you have did you use a big paint brush or spray it on? I am a bit concerned, especially at this time of year.

Steve
    you can get a spray kit made by waxoyl
    it's a bit like a weedkiller sprayer and just screws onto the can... just pump it up and spray!

about 20 quid i think
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
      you can get a spray kit made by waxoyl
      it's a bit like a weedkiller sprayer and just screws onto the can... just pump it up and spray!

about 20 quid i think

Nice one Bigman... Could be another purchase from Halfrauds

Comment

Steve
        I would advise you to get the Surf undersealed,I got a car body shop to do mine.
        Powered by ????

Comment

Originally posted by RobD
          I would advise you to get the Surf undersealed,I got a car body shop to do mine.
          i'm having troulbe getting sufficient pressure in the kettle to steam clean it... i end up drinking all the coffee while i wait!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Steve
            what you been doing under my surf
            yep two days with brush and nice thick black stuff, covered all areas i could possbly reach with the brush, then waxoyl all the places i couldn't get the brush.
            Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
            My choice
            Back off

Comment

Waxoyle is to be reccommended. It drives out moisture, inhibits rust and kills any rust that is already there.
              The 'kit' is about £29 and contains a 2.5 litre can, pressure pump and tube/probe.

I used a 5 litre refill (£18) a jumbo sprayer (£10) and an ext probe (£2.99) So I got twice as much waxoyle for the same price as a kit.
              If you place the can in very hot water for at least 30 mins then you dont need a pressure can. It sprays on with the jumbo sprayer very easily. Just make sure you keep it warm.

Just make sure it is a dry day and the belly of your surf is clean and dry.
              Ian
              One day my paranoia will go away!

Comment

Thanks guys,

All I need now is a dry day, the time and somewhere to do it. (Hey dad can I take over your driveway for the weekend)

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Koi
                  what you been doing under my surf
                  yep two days with brush and nice thick black stuff, covered all areas i could possbly reach with the brush, then waxoyl all the places i couldn't get the brush.
                  Whats the black stuff called?

Comment

Thanks guys,

All I need now is a dry day, the time and somewhere to do it. (Hey dad can I take over your driveway for the weekend)

Steve
                    Be a good son to your Dad and cover the driveway first before starting to spray Waxoyl . It will drip off places and make one heck of a mess .
                    I have the pucker air powered applicator from when I worked in a bodyshop , now that is messy . Undersealed my Lotus last year . Yes fibreglass cars do need underseal !
                    I had black dots everywhere from when it oversprayed past the panels . So make sure a large area is covered for working in .That was underseal , not Waxoyl I used , but both are messy .

Rick
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Peter ssr-x
                      Whats the black stuff called?
                      Good ole fashioned underseal, 5 litre tin & paint brush. Lay on back roll under Surf and paint away, nice thick coating pucker job.

My 4x4
                      My choice
                      Back off

Comment

Has everyone undersealed their Surf before taking it off road
                        Off-roading will scrape all the underseal off again....

If you do a lot of off-roading your underseal will need a pre winter 'touch up' to cover the bare metal every year. Sadly it's not a 'one time only' job.

Don't forget all the insides of the panels and the insides of those chrome bumpers too. Off-roading is not the enemy but road salt is.

Nevillef

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                          Off-roading will scrape all the underseal off again....

If you do a lot of off-roading your underseal will need a pre winter 'touch up' to cover the bare metal every year. Sadly it's not a 'one time only' job.

Don't forget all the insides of the panels and the insides of those chrome bumpers too. Off-roading is not the enemy but road salt is.

Nevillef
                          Was undersealed, bumpers to, then waxoyled to all the places I couldn't get to with the brush.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

Working...
                          X