Starter ring gear replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter ring gear replacement

I have just been offered a 2.4 turbo diesel auto which need the starter ring gear replaced. Doues anyone have any experience of such a job? Is the ring gear part of the torque converter or is it separate? Anyone know how much a ring gear will cost and the best place to get it. It's a 1993 model with no MoT and he's asking for £700. I know it's worth a lot more with an MoT and in working order, but If it's going to cost a fortune to put right then I will walk away or try to haggle a lot.

not sure abbout the ring gear but i got a starter from a 93 2.4 for sale if needed,
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

well firstly you need to make sure its the ring gear gone and not a dodgy starter.if you need to replace the ring gear you have to remove the gearbox,and fltorque converter and fly wheel.you will need to cut the old gear of (have done this with a hammer and sharp cold chisel)you will then need to heat the new gear up to expand it and fit it on,its probably easier to fit a second hand flywheel,good luck(and whilst you have the box out its a good idea to replace the rear main crank seal whilst you are at it)
      Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I've fitted a ring gear before but to a car rather than a 4X4 and not to an auto. I wasn't sure it the ring gear was part of the torque converter or separate as obviously a new torque converter would be a lot more expensive than just a ring gear. The seller is an MoT inspector so I'm sure if he says it is a ring gear he has had a good look at it as a starter is the most obvious and if you were trying to sell it then you would rather say it needed a starter motor than a ring gear. However I would check the starter before stripping the gearbox out as a starter is more common. In 9 years as a motor mechanic, I only ever changed one ring gear and hundreds of starter motors.

Does £700 sound a fair price for it? It has been standing in a garage for almost a year. Also is there anything that the Hilux Surf is proned to. I have been told that the 2.4 has problems with the cylinder head, but my experience of cars with head problems (Rover K series engine springs to mind) is that they are fine unless they are run low on water, then they don't take the abuse that most other engines do.

I recall Topgear trying to kill one and failing so they must be pretty bullet proof.
        Last edited by SoundsDigital; 5 April 2008, 18:50.

Comment

To be perfectly honest then,change the whole flywheel mate.(again good idea to change the rear main crank oil seal while the box is out)

good luck fella sounds as if it could be a goodun
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
            not sure abbout the ring gear but i got a starter from a 93 2.4 for sale if needed,

I'll bear you in mind if I get it.

Comment

Working...
            X