Rear Door Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Door Lock

Would appreciate any info on rear door lock,will not put window up or down,but switch on consol will.

Thanks

I suppose the first thing I'd do would be recruit a helper. Get helper to lower window from inside. Open the tailgate down, manually close the two latches on either side of the tailgate so as to fool the sensors that the gate is up. Now get helper to operate the window up while you stand at the back, supporting the glass as it comes out horizontally twds you - be careful coz it will break if you dont do a good job supporting it. Just send the glass out far enough so that you can see the inside of the barrel and whats going on there. The glass comes out if you keep sending it out I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
      I suppose the first thing I'd do would be recruit a helper. Get helper to lower window from inside. Open the tailgate down, manually close the two latches on either side of the tailgate so as to fool the sensors that the gate is up. Now get helper to operate the window up while you stand at the back, supporting the glass as it comes out horizontally twds you - be careful coz it will break if you dont do a good job supporting it. Just send the glass out far enough so that you can see the inside of the barrel and whats going on there. The glass comes out if you keep sending it out I believe.
      Bit of switch cleaner/WD40 in the lock turn back and forwards a few times, has worked for others.
      Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
      My choice
      Back off

Comment

Originally posted by JimL
        I found the safest way to service the back door lock was to fold the back seats down and climb in the rear of the truck, and gain access to the workings with the tailgate and window in the up position, no risk of glass dropping out. Once you have removed the panels, remove the black plastic cover from the lock, and apply a good coat of lubricant. Also, squirt some WD in from the outside. While your there, clean out the window tracks with cotton wool buds, and lubricate these too.
        Pete

Comment

rear door lock

i found mine getting a bit sluggish especially when dry, so i did a bit of first aid on it but will no doubt have to do a proper job when weather suitable, what i found was dirt built up on the rubber seals both around the apperture and the one staight accross the window on the bottom of the glass, i cleaned the muck away and applied a thin layer of vaseline accross the bottom rubber and to the sides, it seems to have done the trick for now but as i say i will do a proper job asap,
          BIG D
          ITS NICE TO BE IMPORTANT, BUT ITS MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE,

Comment

I found vaseline great for about 4 days then it started attracting grit and dust and defeated the purpose it was put on for, its too thick IMHO, but like BigD said, its a temporary treatment, and yeh my 'post 2' wasnt the best way go about things, better and safer to just climb into the back and work at it yourself

Comment

Working...
            X