SVA Test / Import info - Sticky??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVA Test / Import info - Sticky??

Is there a sitcky anywhere which gives 'definitive' details of the requirements of an SVA test on a surf?
    I realise that this topic is covered in parts in several threads on the fourms, so I apologise for adding to them.

I'm looking at importing a 1995 Surf but am unsure about what tests will be needed for an approval certificate.

A few sites mention 'steering' tests required for SURFs etc and put these costs at roughly £700.

I was expecting the cost to be roughly £200 for SVA and MOT and the following to be needed :

Rear fog lamp
    Speedo Fascia changed to show MPH
    Change brake pads (recommended due to softer / better UK pads)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Also, if the Surf comes into Southampton, how am I on driving it home? I would of course make sure I'm insured.
    If I get stopped, it would seem ridiculous that I was driving a car from Southampton to Newcastle Upon Tyne for an MOT!

Cheers,

Rob.

officially your only allowed to drive it to the SVA appointed test station as you will not have any registration either until its been approved.
    someone else may add their comments regarding this.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Can't remember where I got this from now but it might help you...

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...pdf_506874.pdf

As well as your to do list below... checkfor and remove anything that sticks out - tow hooks, etc. tyres shd be H rated (some come in as Q rated), some people have had to remove rear mounted spares, side steps etc, and some haven't.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
        Can't remember where I got this from now but it might help you...

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...pdf_506874.pdf

As well as your to do list below... checkfor and remove anything that sticks out - tow hooks, etc. tyres shd be H rated (some come in as Q rated), some people have had to remove rear mounted spares, side steps etc, and some haven't.

Q Rated tyres are legal on the Surf - 100MPH maximum and legal in the UK. Most of the Bronco remoulds come in as Q rated.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lucky
          Q Rated tyres are legal on the Surf - 100MPH maximum and legal in the UK. Most of the Bronco remoulds come in as Q rated.

Cheers
          I stand corrected - I noted this from a previous post on SVA - must have been wrong...
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Speed Ratings

HERE YOU GO
            TYRE SPEED SYMBOLS & CATEGORIES Max Speed
            (sustained)
            Kilometres/hr Speed Rating Max Speed
            (sustained)
            Miles/hr

Speed Symbol "N" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 140 Km/h (88 Mph)
            Speed Symbol "P" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 150 Km/h (94 Mph)
            Speed Symbol "Q" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 160 Km/h (100 Mph)
            Speed Symbol "R" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 170 Km/h (106 Mph)
            Speed Symbol "S" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 180 Km/h (113 Mph)
            Speed Symbol "T" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 190 Km/h (119 Mph)
            Speed Symbol "U" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 200 Km/h (125 Mph)
            Speed Symbol "H" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 210 Km/h (130 Mph)
            Speed Category "VR" For vehicles having speed capability over 210 Km/h (e.g. 195.50 VR 15)
            Speed Category "ZR" For vehicles with a speed capability over 240 Km/h (e.g. 205.40 ZR 17)
            Speed Symbol "V" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 240 Km/h (e.g. 225.55 R 15 91V)
            Speed Symbol "W" For vehicles having speed capability not exceeding 270 Km/h (e.g. 225.60 R 15 96W)
            Speed Symbol "Y" For vehicles having speed capability not exceeding 300 Km/h (e.g. 275.40 R 18 94Y)
            ZR+ Speed Symbol "W" Tyres marked with both designations for vehicles with speed capability over 240 Km/h but not exceeding 270 Km/h
            ZR+ Speed Symbol "Y" Tyres marked with both designations for vehicles with speed capability over 240 Km/h but not exceeding 300 Km/h
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
              I stand corrected - I noted this from a previous post on SVA - must have been wrong...
              Mind you thinking about it, I'm not sure what the speed rating for a 3.0 Surf is so you may be correct that they need to be S rated (113 MPH) at least.

I think that an important point is that they must have the correct weight load rating.

The following page has some info that could be usefull.

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbi...yre_bible.html

Cheers

Comment

sva/import info

when i bought my surf this week the only papers i got with it was the mot, my bit of the log book, an odometer cert and a cert of cancellation of registration what ever that is? if i need to go have a little chat with the dealer it came from please let me know, thankx ppl

Comment

Originally posted by Lickit
                  when i bought my surf this week the only papers i got with it was the mot, my bit of the log book, an odometer cert and a cert of cancellation of registration what ever that is? if i need to go have a little chat with the dealer it came from please let me know, thankx ppl
                  Yours didn't need an SVA as it is over 10 years old. So no problem with what you got. In fact you got a lot more than some in getting an odometer certificate.

Cheers

Comment

what about that 1500 quid SVA price change ? whaen does that comein ?
                    Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

sweet so all i need to now is change all the road signs in the area to km/h or put marks on the speedo for mph. Could just not bother and just slow down for the speed camaras hehe

Comment

a 95 surf dosant need a sva test its over ten years old mate so whats all this about? also you can book an apointment at your mot station and just drive it home from the docks dipending on how good you get on with them this way your home and dry so long as your taking it for a test your not braking the law mate i do it every wk but i do go to the mot station

Comment

I think you need to seriously consider the advisability of driving a vehicle that's sat on a boat for any length of time and is in an unknown state of service. I had mine shifted on a transporter and was glad I did as the rad had a split in it. In any case the only way you could legally drive it any distance is on trade plates.
                          Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Working...
                          X