Headlamp wiring amperage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlamp wiring amperage

Will standard headlamp wiring on a 2nd gen be able to handle 20amps?

If not, is there anything i can do to it so it will?

I think it is pretty widely known that the OEM headlamp wiring is a bit under rated.

I used the existing wiring to trigger two relays, one for hi and one for lo.
    This then fed a new "loom" to the head lights
    2.5mm multi strand copper cable to new plugs.

The light output was dramatically better.

Then I used Osram Nightbreakers

The light output is as good as my 64 plate Merc.
    Even to say that now the additional spots are hardly used.
    Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Was this something that can be bought over the counter complete or did you have to make it yourself?

If you made it, do you have any pics or diagrams?

Thanks

Comment

Hi

There is a loom you can buy all made up from a U.S. site but I made my own.
        Headlamp connectors and relays from eBay.
        I did take pics of the setup but they are on the pc which is a bit poorly
        Sorry for the vagueness darn computers
        Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

No problem, from what you've said, I assume that the new loom goes from the headlamp connectors to the relays and the original loom connects to the new relays

Thanks

Comment

4Crawler sell some looms, & also have some wiring diagrams on their site - sadly i don't know enough about (or am confident enough to have a go at) electrickery to make one of these up, but you might

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...OnLineOrdering

Comment

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look through it

Comment

I bought a loom from Thailand about 5 years ago, fitted it myself and it made my old headlights look like glow worms. With some new, better, brighter bulbs fitted, all has been well ever since. They are incredibly cheap, but are good quality and have not let me down. Here is a link to (what I think) may be the same set, copied here from Australian eBay site, but might be available on UK site (but they ship worldwide anyway):
                http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H4-9003-H...item1e93d59346

Comment

Great, thanks, looks like it's good for a 100w bulb upgrade, wonder if it will take a 130 / 90 watt bulb though. Some research is required I think

Comment

Working...
                  X