Holey radiator!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holey radiator!

was driving back from cairnryan today & surf started to flex its temp gauge muscles very close to the red & heaters not holding a heat

So i pulls over, switches off, pops & lifts the bonnet, notices water peeing out the coolant take overflow pipe......

so i go hunting for a cloth/napkin & let the engine cool whilst i do (erm its a very very very large mary Poppins bag is my surf....
    check oil levels & for emulsion sign.....none

now its cooler i undo the rad cap & theres no water in it.......
    so go hunting for my spare water & let it cool further, had a look underneath & couldn't see nowt dripping execpt from where the coolant overflow had ran.....

anyhow filled up with water (took over 3ltr) had another look underneath checked the pipes, since I'd had them off not long ago to flush the rad as it likes to overheat especially during or the following days after towing....all dry & secure

crawls underf a bit more to see if I can see water coming from anywhere else.....low & behild there is a slight flow from under the bottom plastic on drivers side

all this in a gyspy skirt & no fear hoody

I got home with no other overheating issues so it is slight.

whats my best option recon or new?
    ....i ain't go much cash tbh & cant seem to find a rad with the oil cooler attached or the same pipe holes

are the rad & oil cooler seperate on the 3ltr desiel knz130?

need to fix it asap cos I gotta tow my trailer overf to northern ireland on the 30th due to relocation.

cheers

The bottom section of the rad is the tranny oil cooler on the autos.
    Try roughtrax or search the forum for info on a new rad.
    New rad will be better than filing the system full of rad weld.
    Fingers crossed you haven't cracked the head!

Comment

ebay.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-ROW-56MM...item35ea046197

Id buy that if i needed a rad in a pinch

Comment

Cheers, it didn't go well into the red so head should be fine.

Cheers I'll message & double check that's got the cooler in it as well & if the 3 core will fit (mines a 2core) I need it quickly, meant to be moving on the 30th
        I was quoted £402 to recore mine (fitted & vat)

Any tips on removal & refitting?

Cheers
        Last edited by surfing*the*waves; 21 June 2015, 01:15.

Comment

The photograph in that eBay link clearly shows the auto transmission oil connection points, so it does have the oil cooler fitted.

Comment

Will be watching this thread with interest.
            That is a good price for a three core rad.
            If the outcome is good will be ordering one for my 2.4
            I won't be using the built in oil cooler to cool oil though
            Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Hopefully, I've messaged anyway, can't afford to not double check due to my timeline & don't have time to do any adaptations for width or additional oil cooler either, so need to make sure it'll be a straight fit (Hopefully will be)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by nismo33 View Post
                ebay.........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-ROW-56MM...item35ea046197

Id buy that if i needed a rad in a pinch
                I've just dropped similar rad into mine over the last couple of days.

Went straight in with no issues and I have less space than standard due to my engine being slightly "larger" than the norm

Comment

That's good to know, any problematic bolt or what ever I should know about....not done much work on my surf.

Cheers

Comment

Remove shroud first, then the four bolts holding rad after the hoses are off.

If you have auto then make sure you have some thing to bung up the end of the tans cooler pipes so they don't leak all over the place

Comment

Cheers, only took me an hour to remove it, much to the amusment of the staff as per (done it in their yard)

but put it into star radiators in Glasgow to get recored For £300 Inc vat will be ready 2moro.

I didn't wanna risk chasing an internet order & guy ain't got back to me anyhow & no phone number.

Cheers

Comment

Mine turned up in less than 24hrs from order

Just re-checked your link and noticed it's the same hardware as mine but different supplier

Comment

It's all done now! Recored & refitted

Some guy in the shop lost some of his wages in a bet tho for betting that I couldn't refit it myself

1hr!!! silly boy

Btw if your in N.I. look out for me I'll be landing on Tuesday! (uk plates & bright orange spare) might need to get some stickers sorted

Comment

Surfs are rare enough over here. Will def notice you driving around with an orange spare! Hope you enjoy tour time over here, it rains a wee bit less over here!

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzy G View Post
                              Surfs are rare enough over here. Will def notice you driving around with an orange spare! Hope you enjoy tour time over here, it rains a wee bit less over here!
                              Ha ha I'll remember to swapping it back, it's currently on drivers front.

Surf towed really well not a flux in the temp gauge....constant at half way well chuffed tho it's anything but fast with a filled to the gunnals horsebox & fully ladened car.. . But it done it without complaining
                              Last edited by surfing*the*waves; 30 June 2015, 11:39.

Comment

Working...
                              X