Noisy steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy steering

I get a screeching / howling noise when I turn the steering wheel. It's been there for a while now but I thought it might be something to do with knackered ball joints, replaced them all but it's still there.
    It's not the power steering belt, there's plenty of power steering fluid in the reservoir. I've checked the steering box and can't find anywhere to grease or fill with fluid.
    Any ideas?
    Has anyone had this before?

broken harmonic balancer or front pulley.

Comment

The sound isn't there all the time, only when you turn the steering. It's the same whether the engine is running or not. So I'm guessing it's not the harmonic balancer or a pulley.
      Has to be something to do with the moving parts of the steering or linkages, but can't find anything obviously wrong, damaged or worn out

Comment

no.
        the steering only puts load on the pulleys when you move the steering wheel causing load on the steering pump.
        with no load the pulley/balancer will grip and still turn, under load it will slip and make the noise.
        i found out the hard way when the bolt came loose.

Comment

Oh, do you mean the pulley on the power steering pump?

Comment

Might sound daft...but you sure it's not the steering wheel? The horn connectors often screech and need dielectric lube on them. Easy fix.

Just a thought

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion Sylux, learnt along time ago that the simplest or stupidest ideas are often the right ones.
              But it's definitely something to do with the steering, I'll keep searching and checking / eliminating things until I find it

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
                Oh, do you mean the pulley on the power steering pump?
                no.
                crankshaft pulley/balancer.
                common enough problem. noisy steering is an early sign. it pays to check because sometimes, like mine, its the bolt thats come loose allowing the pulley to wobble around and can damage the crankshaft. then it gets expensive.

Comment

Ah, right, I'll check that later.

Thanks

Comment

Have you greased the steering idler lately?

Comment

just a fink

hi have you got any fluid in it
                      the old git

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
                        Have you greased the steering idler lately?
                        Not lately no, did grease it back in December and haven't used it much since then. Now that I think about it, it was difficult to get grease through the nipple, I had remove it and unblock it before I could get grease through it. I'll check that it's ok

Comment

Originally posted by bryanisaoldgit View Post
                          hi have you got any fluid in it
                          Yeah, it has fluid in, at the right level as well

Comment

Looks like it's the idler arm causing the noise. might take it off to see if I can free it off before thinking of replacing it

Comment

Hopefully you can salvage it...if not I think I have one...

Comment

Working...
                              X