Mystery Water Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Water Loss

3.0L 3rd Gen Surf, approx 50.000 miles on the clock.

I love my surf, but I don't think she love's me no more. For a while now she has been losing water and then over heating. Sometimes the reservoir is full, sometimes not.

Until last week if I kept my speed down (cruising at 70/75) she would be fine, but now she dumps the water as soon as possible. There are no obvious signs of water loss, no traces in the oil or drips from the engine bay.

Having read through all the posts on the 3.0l technical forum I can pick no real clues other than the possibility of the thermostat being buggered.

Any one with good ideas please let me know.

Currently stuck in Iraq at the moment, the car is being looked after by a good friend (who reported the situation) and I would like to have it fixed as soon as possible ready for my return later this month.

Obvious candidates are thermostat (as you said), radiator cap (the seals crack) and the radiator itself - if you've been off road at all it could be packed with mud. I thought mine was clean until I had to change it and it took me a half hour with a hose pipe to get it clean enough to send back in exchange
    Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

I've already learned to clean the radiator out after playing in the mud! How ever I have damaged the lower part of the core doing so, bending part of it with a pressure washer (lesson learned!). I can see this reducing the cooling efficiency of the radiator, but not explaining why the water just suddenly buggers off, nor why the problem has now gotten worse.

Still, have asked me mate to replace the thermostat so we will see what happens.

Any ideas, hints and tips much appreaciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Dawson
        I've already learned to clean the radiator out after playing in the mud! How ever I have damaged the lower part of the core doing so, bending part of it with a pressure washer (lesson learned!). I can see this reducing the cooling efficiency of the radiator, but not explaining why the water just suddenly buggers off, nor why the problem has now gotten worse.

Still, have asked me mate to replace the thermostat so we will see what happens.

Any ideas, hints and tips much appreaciated.
        You probably wont see where the water is coming from. Could be the expansion bottle is overflowing while its being driven, then as engine cools down it sucks back whats in the bottle until the bottle is empty minus what it overflowed.
        This in turn will cause airlocks, making more problems so must make sure all air is out after refilling.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Likely to be the cap - water boiling, shooting out then level dropping.
          Id change the cap, thermostat (and do they have a CTS??) if so change that as well. Check all hoses for splits. Then drain, flush, fill, run to temp with cap off and heater on hot then cap on.
          I'd get a new rad when funds allowed as well.

Comment

Could be a head gasket, Linda's was. Get it pressure tested to be sure, this will also help show up any leaks in the cooling system.

Don't let if overheat to often, check the water alot till you fix it. Its no 2.4 but any cast iron head will crack if it gets to hot.
            4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

water loss

I have had this problem twice on my 2.4. the first time i would be towing the boat to wales do about 100 miles then all of a sudden temp gauge would fly up. turned out to be head gasket, just losing a bit at a time round town no problem make it work and it boiled up.
              The second time, i eventually found a pin hole in a hose and the fine spray was going on to the engine and evaporating, took some finding.
              As has alresdy been said pressure test is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
              X