Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed cameras tell lies!

Got this from the Daily Mail......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The camaras that DO lie

This is the heart-stopping moment every motorist dreads. As u drive alone the road, a police officer points a laser speed gun towards u. Glancing at the dashboard, u breathe a sigh of relief: the speedometer reveals that ur car is travelling below the 30mph limit. But a month later, a letter drops through ur door. You face a fine for speeding and penalty points on ur licence.
    It is claimed u were driving at 41mph - not 28mph. Can that really be true? Staggeringly, the answer may be no.
    Motorists accused of driving too fast on Britain's roads insist the real culprit is a laser speed gun offically approved by the Home Office and used by almost every police authority in the country.For the mail has discovered that the LTI20.20.gun is seriously flawed.
    In our tests, it wrongly recorded a wall as travelling at 44mph, and empty road scored 33mph, a parked car was clocked as doing 22mph and a bicycle (in reality being ridden at 5mph) rocketed along at an impossible 66mph.
    Imported from America, the LTI20.20. is used in nearly 3,500 mobile speed units hidden in police vans or cars and mounted on motorbikes.
    Speed traps - nearly half of which now use laser gun technology - reap more than £100million each year in fines.This is shared between the police, the highways Agency, the courts, the Home Office and the local authorities.Ironically,some of the huge sum is used to pay for even police speed reinforcement teams relying on exactly the same laser speed gun at the centre of the mail's investigation.
    We subjected the speed gun to rigorous tests.Alarmingly,we discovered it was prone to wildly wide-of-the-mark readings,even when set up according to the police's own guidelines and the manufacturer's handbook.

In other tests, we found the equipment was measuring the speed of overtaking cars instead of the one being targeted.
    Today, the mail can expose the scandal of a speed enforcement industry in which the collection of fines is considered paramount - whatever the consequences for innocent drivers caught in the police traps by faulty readings.
    In the past nine years, an extraordinary one-in-five drivers has been fined for speeding,despite many protesting their innocence.
    Lawyers we spoke to say motorists are now rebelling by refusing to pay the fines and fighting their cases through the courts.
    One voicing concern is Barry Culshaw,a southampton solicitorcurrently acting for 15 drivers nationwide, 'they complain of the huge errors' he says 'Drivers say they were within the speed limit and yet the LTI20.20. recorded them doing excessive speed'.
    Another disquieting discovery is that vital video film - is often taken at a speed-trap site for use as secondary evidence- is often mysteriously withheld from motorists by the Crown Prosecution Service.
    On at least ten occasions the Crown has suddenly dropped the case against a motorist when ordered by the judge to hand over the telling footage.
    Michael Morgan, who runs a British website collating complaints against laser speed guns,said: 'the authorities often wriggle rather than release the video,which would expose the laser gun to scrutiny in a court of law.No doubt they fear the enormous consequences,including a clamour for fine refunds and compensation over the loss of licences or even livelihoods'.

Mind how you go!

I always thought they lied, but it's nice to see some research has 'proven' it!!

I guess I've been lucky not to have been nabbed by one of these (yet!) but I'm sure there'll be a lot of peed off people!!!!
    It just does, OK?

Comment

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has challenged their fine.

If anybody knows of anyone doing this, i`d like to hear about the proper way of challenging it.
      Stella Artois

Comment

Originally posted by jackster

If anybody knows of anyone doing this, i`d like to hear about the proper way of challenging it.

Hi,
        Six months of year I live in remote area of mainland.. Just the area for evryone to let off steam.. very small population...more animal's tho ! About 8 miles away is a longish stretch of road - single carriageway. Fastest driver was a motorbike about 172 mph...he was "clocked" ie over the "measured mile" time and distance...very difficult to disprove in court, if cops bring test details of their speedo and clocks. IMHO However, going onto your point.. Single detector held by one officer and recorded.... If recording isn't made available and accused turns up in person at court....case collapses....also happens if OIC isn't able to attend court...CPS very unhappy with this scenario.. system relies on people accepting the old adage " fair cop guv -bang to rights " pay fine, hand over licence, endorsed...end of story...

Comment

See also interesting article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._feature.shtml
          Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

best story i heard was when a speed gun picked up a jet flying overhead... registered huge speed...

but!... jet (harrier i think) registered the radar/laser and thought it was some kind of targeting system and switched to full alert (or whatever they do when they think someone's gonna fire a missile!)
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

A Harrier having missile lock on a gatso......................... ...............Brilliant!

Comment

My Defender is sprayed in I.R.R. paint. It's a Military paint that is used on military vehicles and equipment to reflect infrared. I see these speed guns use a infrared beam to target vehicles. I wonder what reading it would get targeted at my I.R.R. painted Defender?

But I don't think I'm going to go out and test it!!

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2
                  My Defender is sprayed in I.R.R. paint. It's a Military paint that is used on military vehicles and equipment to reflect infrared. I see these speed guns use a infrared beam to target vehicles. I wonder what reading it would get targeted at my I.R.R. painted Defender?

But I don't think I'm going to go out and test it!!
                  does I.R.R. paint actualy reflect the infrared (diffused to confuse infrared targeting system etc) or absorbe it to give no/reduced infrared return?
                  just wonderd
                  Diesel, like petrol only better

Comment

It doesn't! I think the speed guns use different frequencies to get around the deflection problems.

Comment

Originally posted by jackster

I challenged the fine as I wasnt going at the speed that the scum in the back of a van with a camera claims I was doing!!!!!!

Havent got a clue how to fight it but I received my summons to court for an alleged 61mph in a 50 zone this morning.
                      No kin way I was doing 61 at the time of the photo they have printed of me and I wont pay the fine, take the points on my licence or put up with this bull sh1t.

The one outcome I have from this situation is, now whenever I see scum driving their pig patrol cars behind me, I slow down to at least 10 mph below the speed limit, pull me over and I will give a gob full about how they want us to slow down with speed cameras, trafic calming, speed bumps, 20 zones, gatso's ect , so guess what, when you lot are behind I go really slow. Dont even think I would give a second to think about assisting any copper on any enquiry. The help I was giving as a witness in a drunk driver case can now swivel, I have retracted my statement. I wont help them do the job that they cant do themselves due to wasting resources on minor traffic offences just to pump up the crime's solved/conviction rates. Traffic offences I wasnt even commiting.
                      I dont deny that I am no angel, but in over 25 yrs of driving and almost 1 million, yes 1 million (6 cars around the clock from new +) miles without once hitting a pedestrian, causing an accident greater than a dented wing and bumper (once, 15 yrs ago) or any injury what so ever, guess what-----I am ticked off with the attitude of the current police.

Fish
                      If it smells like fish, eat it!

Comment

I agree, but it's the home secretary that's to blame, for setting revenue 'targets' The Police are just doing his 'dirty work'.

Comment

A bit more reading.......

Mr Gatso, the inventor, was a champion of motorists and actually won the Monte Carlo Rally in 1953. The prompt for him to invent his infamous cameras came about after he was nicked for speeding. He was done when a police officer with a stop watch timed him over a measured 100 metres. Mr Gatso new he wasn't speeding and in fact determined that the distance over which he was timed was not 100 meteres but 87!! This enraged him and he vowed to stand up for the motorist against such arbitrary prosecutions. his zeal grew when a friend of his, whom he was following, was prosecuted for driving through a red stop sign, when both the driver and Mr Gatso, following remember, new and testified that he hadn't done so. Consequently, his cameras were intended to protect the motorist against 'grey' convictions.
                          I conclude that this invention has been corrupted by law enforcement agencies, perhaps annoyed at having their 'unquestionable honesty' called into question and now use these things almost as instruments of entrapement.

Comment

Originally posted by openback
                            does I.R.R. paint actualy reflect the infrared (diffused to confuse infrared targeting system etc) or absorbe it to give no/reduced infrared return?
                            just wonderd

It's called I.R.R. by the Ministry of Defence and it stands for Infra-Red Refective, so I guess it reflects it. When you look at it after you have sprayed it, it's got a wierd sort of Metalic paint look. It's also made out of Polyeurothane Enamel (spelt wrong no doubt), which is an oil based paint and is thined down using white spirit.

I can find out what it actually does. As for Police guns having software to combat this, I'm not so sure. Not much point in the Army using it, if Civvy plod has the technology to detect it.

The latest Camouflage nets also have this I.R.R. capability.

Comment

Standing corrected. I was refering to those GATSO busting numberplates, They don't work 100%

Comment

Working...
                              X