KZN185 electric 4x4 button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KZN185 electric 4x4 button

Evening all, done a bit more digging on the internet regarding the electric 2wd/4wd button on low range box knob. Now on my dash in what I believe is 2wd it shows four tyres(green) and the centre box not lit. When I push the button into 4wd the four tyres flash green and the centre box flashes orange. Is this correct as got me thinking, if was in 2wd the tyres on display wouldn't be lit up. I also got underneath and had a look and found the front prop shaft won't turn freely suggesting it's stuck in 4wd. I've asked about this before but just digging a bit deeper. Cheers, Tom
    It all seems easy, in a Hilux

When you push the button on the side of the low range stick as you are moving along the 4 wheels will turn green and the orange centre will light all will flash and then go to steady light, indicating the 4 wheel drive is engaged, when you push the button again the opposite will happen and the lights will eventually go off when the 4 wheel disengages.
    I know nothing about the front prop shaft other than it drives the front wheels when the 4 wheel drive is engaged.

Comment

When you push the button in the 4 greens should go solid, ( maybe after a flash or 2) you are now in 4WD. The centre orange light should not be lit.

If you want that to light up you have to knock your wee gearstick back a notch to 4H , if all is well centre diff will lock and orange light will light, and you either better hold a straight line or be on some slippy stuff,
      Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
        When you push the button in the 4 greens should go solid, ( maybe after a flash or 2) you are now in 4WD. The centre orange light should not be lit.

If you want that to light up you have to knock your wee gearstick back a notch to 4H , if all is well centre diff will lock and orange light will light, and you either better hold a straight line or be on some slippy stuff,
        Hi Bogus, well the truck is currently stuck in hi 4 with the panel showing four solid green tyres, have tried to get it back into hi2 by pushing the button and all I get is a clunk and then the tyres flash constantly and don't go out , have tried removing and cleaning the three plunger looking switches/sensors but no joy grrr

Comment

[ATTACH]38027[/ATTACH]

Comment

I found this vacume/solenoid setup which is located under the air filter housing. It has two small compressor like things with small air filters on them. One has a blue plug and the other a brown. With ignition on, dapping the blue connector you can hear the connection being made so guess is fine. However the brown makes no electric crackle so I assume it's dead.
            Is this the part which feed air to the ADD and electric 4wd/2wd select?

Comment

are you moving when you
              try to change two to four or
              four to two
              because you should be but not reving up
              try it round the block and see if yer
              lights go out
              it dont work very well while stationary
              the old git

Comment

Hi Bryan, yeh driven it up and down my road a few times and no joys. Seems to me that the electrically powers centre diff wants to disengage 4hi but the ADD system in the front axel doesn't.
                On pushing the button on knob, you can here the centre diff mechanism diassengaging but not a whisper from the ADD in the front.
                Think I need to check power supply and the air hoses, went to my local Toyota dealer and because mine is an import wanted 79 smackers and hour to work on it so it's late night tinkering for me

Comment

Originally posted by tomgraver91 View Post
                  Hi Bryan, yeh driven it up and down my road a few times and no joys. Seems to me that the electrically powers centre diff wants to disengage 4hi but the ADD system in the front axel doesn't.
                  On pushing the button on knob, you can here the centre diff mechanism diassengaging but not a whisper from the ADD in the front.
                  Think I need to check power supply and the air hoses, went to my local Toyota dealer and because mine is an import wanted 79 smackers and hour to work on it so it's late night tinkering for me
                  Are you sure the 4wd is not engaged on by the leaver being used as oppsed to the button?
                  SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

When I come off the field in 4 wheel drive and change to 2 wheel drive on the button I stop after a few yards and reverse a couple of yards which seems to quicken the change over from 4 to 2 wheel drive.

Comment

Yeah a little forward backwards shuffle helps. Mine starts in 4wd anyway because rwd is bloody lethal in the wet.

Comment

Working...
                      X