ECT and overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECT and overdrive

I know it is hot but is there anybody out there who can answer my question, need to know before I buy one!

Is ECT standard on Generation 3 surfs or was only on Gen 2's? and do they all come with overdrive or is this just the same as a four speed auto?

Thanks

Keith

Originally posted by Rincewind
    I know it is hot but is there anybody out there who can answer my question, need to know before I buy one!

Is ECT standard on Generation 3 surfs or was only on Gen 2's? and do they all come with overdrive or is this just the same as a four speed auto?

Thanks

Keith
    All 2nd Gen SURFS have overdrive & ECT on auto models. Any 3rd gen guys want to comment ?
    Overdrive is like the 4th gear mainly used at higher speeds if you like but mine is on all the time.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

yeah... all the ones i've seen have OD and ECT...

look at howstuffworks.com for auto boxes and how thwy work
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

OK. So if it is a generation 3 it should still have ECT, it is just that I didn't notice the button (wasn't actually looking for it so if anyone can tell me where it is that would be useful) so wasn't sure, judging by the posts it is well worth having but I don't know if it was an optional extra or came as standard.

Comment

My 3rd gen surf has both, not sure if they are standard across the board.

Comment

can be anywhere... on the centre console or to the right of the steering wheel... mine doesn't make any difference
            nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind
              OK. So if it is a generation 3 it should still have ECT, it is just that I didn't notice the button (wasn't actually looking for it so if anyone can tell me where it is that would be useful) so wasn't sure, judging by the posts it is well worth having but I don't know if it was an optional extra or came as standard.

Centre console, bottom right. Mine works fine

Comment

Thanks guys, i will be looking for it.

Comment

Mines a '96 KZN185 (don't know what gen it is) it has ECT next to the hand brake, and o/d on the gear selector.

O/d is on all the time unless I want more power. It basically makes a "fifth gear"
                  Cheers,
                  Sean

Comment

Originally posted by SeanH
                    Mines a '96 KZN185 (don't know what gen it is) it has ECT next to the hand brake, and o/d on the gear selector.

O/d is on all the time unless I want more power. It basically makes a "fifth gear"
                    A KZN185 is a 3rd Gen

The O/D effectively gives you a 4th Gear, what you may feel as a 5th Gear is actually the torque convertor locking up at at around 52mph
                    Last edited by Morr; 20 June 2005, 14:04.
                    Maurice
                    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

My 95 3rd gen Surf has its ECT next to the hand brake. There is a small red button just above P on the auto gear stick, has writing on it something about 'stop/switch off'?! Anyone has any idea what it is?

Comment

Read the FAQ section.

Comment

Working...
                        X