Trouble starting, and vaporized, unburnt Diesel smoke after startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble starting, and vaporized, unburnt Diesel smoke after startup

I'll start with all the background I have on this thing. Maybe it'll help. Not sure how much is related to this problem.

1990 2.4L Surf, 175,XXX km

Bakc around thanksgiving, it got damn cold. At least -25F, as my winterized diesel gelled up. This is the first time I have owned a diesel, and the first time that I've been anywhere this cold, so I didn't figure out what had happened right away. Eventually I called a buddy who knows about diesels more than me, he figured it was gelled, so we pulled it to his heated garage, and with a bit of work, she fired up the next morning. I've run a bunch of anti-gel through it, and injector cleaner.

After than, it was having a hell of a time starting. Since then, ether has been my friend if its below freezing. I know its not exactly good for it, but it gets her going. Turns out the glow plugs were dead. Replaced those over christmas, and it fired up ok then (at sea level. not sure if that would have any bearing)

Now that I'm back in Butte, (elev ~6000 ft, or 2000m) it really doesn't want to start. Once it a while, even above freezing, it will w/o ether, but usually I've got to spray some in there.

When it finally does start, I get while, vaporized, unburnt diesel for a while (like, until the coolant temp sensor is all the way up to where it sits when its been running for a while, ~1/2 way across)

I can't plug in. I will get fined by the apartment I'm in if they catch me doing it again (assholes, but the rent is cheaper than dirt, so I put up with it) When I do, it helps somewhat, but not a ton.

Glow plugs are getting the full 12/6 V, but after the first cycle, if I try again they switch to 6V really quick. Like <1 sec quick. Even if its so cold out you get frostbite just looking outside.

My thoughts: Injectors might be partially clogged / ####ed, causing the fuel to dribble out instead of spraying, so it doesn't fully burn. This would make it harder to light. I also think installing a manual glowplug override might help. Just need to find time to do this. Unfortunately, that probably won't come until April. I'm also a starving college student, so I can't afford to be guessing and paying for all sorts of expensive parts I don't need.

Also, its supposed to get to -35 tuesday night. Hopefully the #1/2 mix I put in is enough to keep it liquid. Is #1 (basically kerosene) harder to start with?
    Last edited by farmer; 30 January 2011, 05:25.

Does it start a bit like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef-x5Mq4z5Y

Comment

Thats friggin cold!

If you've done the glow plugs and sure its mechanically in good nick (ie decent compression) the injectors would be next thing to replace.

No had any experiance with Surf motors in those sort of temps. How do other Toy diesels manage locally?
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        Thats friggin cold!

If you've done the glow plugs and sure its mechanically in good nick (ie decent compression) the injectors would be next thing to replace.

No had any experiance with Surf motors in those sort of temps. How do other Toy diesels manage locally?

Block heaters?

Comment

Yeah, some of the Canadians mentioned those recently.

Did they ever fit any?

You can fit timers, heaters and a electric pump to circulate the coolant and get the motor all toasty, but would need extra batteries or power from somewhere?

I used to fit these sort of things to boat motors, but they are plugged in to mains overnight, or on Generators.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

An Optima 'blue top' battery should take care of that.

Comment

Similar to that video, but extend the time it takes for everything by a lot. More cranking, and white smoke (diesel, not oil. I know the difference in appearance and smell) for a long time after startup until she gets warm.

Injectors were allegedly replaced in the spring (I bought it in the summer, but it came with all the receipts) I was using some antigel that claimed to clean injectors as well, but I put a big bottle of straight injector cleaner in the last two tanks on top of the anti gel and that seems to help a little.

As for other locally, I have no idea. You can't import them to the US (I'm a Canuck, just down here for school so she's still on my BC insurance) so I don't know of any other yota diesels around. I'm hoping some other Canadians might chime in on what they have working.

I finally got one of the circulation block heaters put in last week, and that helps a bit, but even in warmer temps (40's F) it has a lot of trouble on its own. I'm starting to think that it might be a problem with the temp sending unit or glow plug timer, as after hte first cycle of glow plugs, where it goes basically to the beep before you can hear it switch from 11V to 6V, it only lasts on 11V for a fraction of a second on repeated cycles. Tonight I cycles it about 12 times and it started pretty well (still a lot of smoke, but less cranking) so I think an override switch might be the solution.

and yes, it is ####ing cold. I was in Jackson Hole for the weekend (best skiing of my life, BTW. the last two days were all knee to waist+ deep. total snorkel advisory today) and it was actually warmer at 10,000 ft at the top of JHMR than when we got back to town.

Comment

The haynes manual that dannyboy posted up here: http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=68689

says that the preheating time for my glow plugs should be under the left kick panel. The computer is there. Right kick panel contains the fuses and ECU. Where the hell is the glow plug timer? I've searched, but couldn't find anything. What I'm trying to do is wire in an override switch to run the higher voltage cycle on my glow plugs longer, as in -25F the normal cycle just doesn't cut it. (having it plugged in at night has helped in anything above 10F or so)

I was going to put in a switch that jumped b/w one of the wires that has power when the key is ON and whichever seems to go on and off with the 12V part of the cycle, but if anyone has an easier / better way I'd be happy to hear about it.

Comment

Just so I really feel like I'm talking to myself, I'll update you with what I managed this afternoon.

Following the directions here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-...on-switch.html

specifically, the ones that are right at the bottom of the page posted by brownbear.

A few feet of wire, a couple connectors and a push button switch later, and I've got a button that clicks over the glow plug relay to give me 11V at the glow plug rail. I had to bore out the hole under the round plastic cover above the key to get it to fit, but it looks pretty good IMO.

Comment

Working...
                  X