coolant change or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coolant change or not?

I have the 2.4 1992 and have checked the engine over and all seems ok, it has the green coolant and that looks very clean, diff oils look like new so didn't change it, the surf has done 45,000 miles well that's whats on the clock??? the surf looks like it could be original.
    You know the old saying "don't **** with anything that's running good" well summat like that.
    mine is running good, went to Cornwall last week from kent and that was a 800 mile round trip, no oil loss or coolant loss, ran really well, 80mph most of the time.
    Now! do I change the coolant, thermostat and all the other parts that need changing as a matter of course, ( I have changed the oil, filter fuel filter) as one should, but as for the coolant and thermostat.
    What are your recomendations??????

bought mine in uxbridge drove it all way home to cornwall no probs changed oil , water , antifreeze still no probs , personally i always change stuff cos then i know its been done peace of mind and all that after all it was on a boat for a while and standing you dont know what s**t is in there !! mine is a 92 2.4td when i drained it everything seemed clean as so as i said i would for peace of mind

hope you enjoy it as much as i do already

cheers
    [img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/tiere/animal-smiley-022.gif[/img][img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/tiere/animal-smiley-022.gif[/img][img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/auto/car-smiley-006.gif[/img] [b][color=red]Anyone for [u]fluffy[/u] wheeltrims[/color][/b]

Comment

You can have a genuine Toyota 88degree thermostat and Toyota 0.9 rad cap brand new and a gallon of undiluted coolant for around £30, then all you want is to spend an hour or so doing the flush, fit and purge...

Comment

mmmmmm me thinks the same about changing the water, then you read that you have to "burp" the water system after changing the fluid, or you will have air locks that cause hot spots leading to head failure.
        Burping the water system!!!! reminds me of an old Renult 5 that I had, surely Toyota can't build a system that bad that it has to be burped like a baby!
        So any surf guys out there that has changed the cooling water, do you have to mess about like burping the system with 6ft high water systems?????

Comment

It ain't that bad, after draining & flushing (making sure both heaters front and back are set to hot) fill through cap. Fill til it wont take anymore (check expansion bottle level) then start it up, run for a couple of minutes switch off and check levels again and top up if needed. Repeat this several times occasionaly giving the right pedal a few presses until the level doesn't drop, it shouldn't get that hot only running it for a couple of minutes.
          Then take it for a spin (leaving heaters open) park up wait for it to cool and check levels again. Just check lvels for the next couple of days or so just to see if any airlocks have moved. If both heaters are pumping out hot you should be ok.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

Thanks for the info, I will be doing it 2morro, does it matter if it is the green or red anti freeze from Toyota.

Comment

Originally posted by snowwolf
              Thanks for the info, I will be doing it 2morro, does it matter if it is the green or red anti freeze from Toyota.
              maybe too late with this post...

no it doesnt, put in whatever brand you want once it is suitable noting whether its a premixed product or whether you mix the water in yourself, and on the airlocks, you should sleep easy knowing that you've paid 3 times more attention to the job than someone else whos watchin the clock for the next break and yappin bout Leeds woes (just like all trades but). While shes warming up after the change keep giving the top and bottom rad hoses and the two heater hoses gentle squeezes to move things around.

Comment

Working...
              X