Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• struggles beyond 3500 on rev counter

HI Gents,
    Read many threads but still wanted your advice before I start thinking of putting a lexus V8 in my 1990 2.4TD.
    Surf drives beautifully but I get really worried when pushing it beyond 3000 on rev counter as the car feels like it might blow up with effort when being driven.
    When stationary, the engine can be rev'd up to 5000 without any problems.
    Turbo light kicks in at 2000 when in drive
    Turbo light kicks in at 3500 when in Park/neutral.

The car has had new glow plugs, all filters, engine oil changed.

Appreciate your help in advance

Remove the fuel filler cap and see if you hear a loud hiss sound. Could a vacuum in the tank caused by a blocked tank breather which is preventing sufficient fuel pick-up at high revs.

Comment

BW, thanks for reply, will try tomorrow and update here.

Comment

no vacuum or hiss noise.
        BW, you have a great thread on the petrol tank and pics, thanks for that.

Started checking all hoses and noticed my intercooler is covered in oil!!
        Have cleaned up using a rag and to see where the oil is leaking. No mention of this from my mechanic when he changed all the service filters.

Interestingly, the car doesnt struggle when in 2nd gear doing 4500 revs - couldnt dream of getting into those revs on the motorway...

Comment

why

why would you want to rev
          24 year old truck that high
          anyway
          its goner end up with these
          the old git

Comment

Originally posted by Kashy View Post
            no vacuum or hiss noise.

Started checking all hoses and noticed my intercooler is covered in oil!!
            Have cleaned up using a rag and to see where the oil is leaking. No mention of this from my mechanic when he changed all the service filters...
            You have any pics of intercooler & where is it fitted ??

Comment

WW, thanks, the intercooler is at the bottom of the radiator location. I've seen a couple of videos on cleaning the cooler but I might just add a bigger one above the engine or in the current location. The car has been raised at least 6 inches.

Welcome any ideas which and where I can get a bigger intercooler.

B, rev beyond 3500. I'd like to restore the vehicle as much as possible. occasionally im on the m40 where the incline means the vechile wont go above 60mph unless it goes at 3500+.
              Im not racing it, as I can do that with another fun car. I guess I should have bought a 3.0 model but this was a friends who went abroad and I just wanted a project to play with

Comment

Working...
              X