Tailgate glass 1st gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate glass 1st gen

Hey guys. I smashed my tailgate window in my 3-door '88 1st gen (gutted). I've replaced it temp with a 2nd gen but doesn't quite fit in the top corners.

Anyone got a tailgate window?

Originally posted by thestoredt View Post
    Hey guys. I smashed my tailgate window in my 3-door '88 1st gen (gutted). I've replaced it temp with a 2nd gen but doesn't quite fit in the top corners.

Anyone got a tailgate window?
    I got a spare one made from Perspex just in case !!

I think main dealer your only choice.
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
      I got a spare one made from Perspex just in case !!

I think main dealer your only choice.
      I've tried that route - Toyota say its now obsolete stock. I did find a breaker in australia that has some at good prices too - around £50. Problem is the shipping was around £300!

I've fitted a gen 2 for the time being but the top corners have tiny gaps so I may mould some addittional fibreglass to move the rubber trim out to fit it.

Didn't realise how difficult parts would be to get for this.

The guys at Milner have a few parts on the shelf - Roughtrax have struggled to identify parts at all, even though they stock some of them they don't seem to know it!

Comment

If I was you I would make one from Makrolon, which is very tough . We used to use it in factories on machinery guards. Very easy to cut , does not tend to crack when cutting and can be drilled easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2 View Post
          If I was you I would make one from Makrolon, which is very tough . We used to use it in factories on machinery guards. Very easy to cut , does not tend to crack when cutting and can be drilled easily.
          Thanks Vagrant!

I'll look into that.

The good news is that the work I did got it through its M.O.T. today! Only advisories are couple minor starts of corrosion on brake pipes.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEA H!

Comment

Any pics of this 1st gen?

Comment

Couple of pics from when I first got her.

She'd been sat in my mates garden for near on 2 years. New battery, 4 tries on the ignition and away we went!
              Attached Files

Comment

2nd gen bumper on front.

Comment

yep - don't suppose you have a 1st gen spare ?

Comment

Originally posted by thestoredt View Post
                    yep - don't suppose you have a 1st gen spare ?
                    I do , and its a spare for mine.
                    Use a Mk2 pick up bumper.

Comment

Does it have IFS or Solid axle on the front?
                      If it comes up for sale give me a shout please.
                      Brian

Comment

Hi Brian - its the IFS model.

You on the lookout for one then?

So far I've rebuilt steering box with new seals, replaced the front stabiliser bar drop links and bushes, replaced rear shocks, repaired rear window mechanism as a wheel was missing on the regulator arm, rebuilt the induction section and replaced the main intake hose, new fuel, oil and air filter, got endure a/t's all round, new upper ball joints, new brake pads (calipers need rebuild really as the seals have gone). Interior and chassis real clean.

Run out of money for next couple months but it's got a new mot on now.

Dave,

Comment

This is when I first got her - needless to say the "Frankensurf" sticker and front spots aren't there any more.

Body came up real shiny with T-cut
                          Attached Files

Comment

Always liked them and would love the soild axel version.
                            Surfenstien had a beautiful burnt orange one. Last time I saw it it had been neglected badly. Look after it mate they are a rare Beastie.
                            Last edited by yoshie; 4 November 2014, 19:41.
                            Brian

Comment

Will do - I'm trying to restore it as much to original spec as possible. I do miss the oomph of my old 3rd gen 3 litre though

Once I've done some more restorative work on it I will be looking at selling her as I want to fund another gen 3 (and get shot of my diesel focus that just screams "I gave up on life".....

So i'll keep you updated.

Comment

Working...
                              X