yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

check engine oil warning light came on...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check engine oil warning light came on...

Twice in the last 3 weeks the check engine OIL warning light (or according to manual Low oil pressure warning light) has come on,
    i.e. light that looks like an oil can on instrument cluster.
    (this light always comes on during pre-check ignition start-up).

Both times its gone off within 30 secs.
    both times oil pressure has been in normal range - on the gauge (top left dash),
    also oil level is fine just below full on dipstick.

oil and oil filter changed about 2000 miles back.

dodgy electrics? or something more sinister...

((I suspect dodgy electrics as a few months ago the fuel needle plunged and low fuel light came on (- had me stop and check that i wasnt pouring fuel over road!, this light never has before even when i nearly ran out of diesel!) - then it went back to normal and never done this again!))

any ideas anyone?

andy
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Find the sender and check the plug and wiring, its on the sump, nearside I think.

Its seperate from the pressure guage, so the pressure guage will still be working if its foobarred.

You could be low on oil, but theres still enough to pump and make pressure.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks Tony

I will check that sender - the oil level is fine checked that
      Landcruiser Colorado
      Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
        thanks Tony

I will check that sender - the oil level is fine checked that
        I've had this problem as well - it may be 4Runner (UK, or scottish?) specific. I nearly checked the sender, but as the oil level and pressure were fine, i assumed it was some dodgy electrics. Maybe an errant cosmic ray, only found in scotland due to our northerly location...

Comment

>>>>Maybe an errant cosmic ray, only found in scotland due to our northerly location...<<<<

or some particle from Dounreay!

The 2 times light came on, it was also p$ssing down with rain (not unusual!).

I disconnected the sender plug and gave it blast WD40. Checked current, light seemed to come on when i shorted the circuit.

Havent seen it come on again yet - but it has only lit up twice, and several weeks apart.
          Landcruiser Colorado
          Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
            >>>>Maybe an errant cosmic ray, only found in scotland due to our northerly location...<<<<

or some particle from Dounreay!

The 2 times light came on, it was also p$ssing down with rain (not unusual!).

I disconnected the sender plug and gave it blast WD40. Checked current, light seemed to come on when i shorted the circuit.

Havent seen it come on again yet - but it has only lit up twice, and several weeks apart.
            Two cosmic rays seem unlikely...

Mine lit up several months apart (three occasions, one this week), though not in the rain.

Let me know when you find the fault, i'll be happy to check if it cures the problem in mine ! Incidently, my fuel gauge under-reads intermittently; i've yet to trace it, and wondered if it might be related or on the same circuit...

Comment

Sorry to dig up an old thread but did either of you find out the issue?

I have had this come on a few times recently myself, only for 10-15 seconds each time before going off again...it has happened within the first 5-10 mins of driving. Oil pressure is fine according to the pressure gauge in top left and I ha e checked the oil level and all seems OK.

I was thinking possibly an electrical issue as sometime my turbo warning light comes on and if I tap the cluster it goes off other times it stays on for a while before going off, again the turbo seems fine as it pulls strong and no strange noises from the turbo or other evidence from the exhaust to point to any issue so I put this down to some sort of electrical gremlin.

Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
              X