SVO newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SVO newbie!

Hi all , I've only just bought my 1st hilux surf 2 days ago , fantastic truck so far. It's a 3rd gen SSRG 3.0 TD.
    Just a quick question - can I literally just buy say 20l of veg oil from the shops and pour it straight into the tank of my totally unmodified truck or must I fit a pre heater etc before doing this ? My truck has a heated fuel filter as standard if this makes any difference?
    Thanks.

You can do just that, I used to use svo with about a 50% mix with diesel just to thin it out a bit, it should be ok in fairly cold weather like that, you can get away with more oil in the warmer months though. 100% is just possible. Change the fuel filter after a few hundred miles though as the veg cleans all the shite out of the tank and pipes.
    Watch the paint as it'll take it off if you spill any on the bodywork!
    I've just put a new cylinder head on mine so will run pure diesel for now.

Comment

Ok thanks , might take a trip to Tesco as I see they have an offer where veg oil is 80p per litre. I've read about it perishing seals on fuel pump etc is this true? Or is it more than likely fine to use up to say 50% mix?

Comment

I think the seals only give real trouble with high level or 100% veg.

Comment

because having some diesel in still luricates the pump , seals etc?
          I prob wouldn't ever run more than 50% to be honest anyway.
          I take it i'd still need to change the filter fairly regularly though ? - every few tanks or so ?

Comment

If you travel a fair few miles just stick straight svo in. This way you will save more than enough over a few tanks full text pay for a pump deal rebuild (around 200 quid ish done properly) don't forget these cars are around 20 years old so they nearly due a rebuild. From what I've saved running svo and bio it won't bother me if I need to have the seals done.

Mine is a land cruiser kzj70 series with the 3.0td and the earlier lj70 2.4TD run fine also on SVO & BIO. In winter a couple of years back laid up for two weeks a metre deep in snow it still started on the first turn of the key at -5.
            Last edited by Yorkshire Devil; 21 September 2014, 16:20. Reason: Added Info

Comment

I won't be going that far really. Just using it on the weekends and perhaps the odd evening etc. Realistically no more than 3-4,000 miles a year. I'm thinking of buying some veg oil from tesco this week as it's 80p a litre and just trying perhaps 25% at first.
              Does it matter whether it's veg oil or sunflower oil ? Or are they much the same?

Comment

I've just put in my first lot of veg oil , bought form tesco - 80p per litre. Now i put it in at about 20% to start , when exactly am i going to need to change the fuel filter ?

Comment

As it's new oil you can chuck it all in, won't do any harm.

Change filter when you feel the truck's power begin to fade, approx 6k miles.

Comment

Thanks. Quite a long time then , was expecting it to be like after the first tank or so with it picking up the crap from in the tank!

Comment

Enjoy the smell of sausages lol

Got a heater system on mine and used to run 100% in summer and most of winter. Would thin down with diesel when it would be getting very cold.
                      Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Working...
                      X