Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox/diff oils roughtrax recommendations vs owners manual

Hi all,

I'm going to be changing the oil in gearbox, diffs and transfer box on my 3.0td 4runner and had some questions about the oil recommendations from roughtrax vs the owners manual.

So for front diff roughtrax recommends 80w90 and the manual 75w90?

What has everyone been running, tempted to go with book but I'm just wondering if it's a case of the 80w90 recommended by roughtrax is through years of testing and it has been found that this works better?

The other thing is how good is the toyota branded engine oil? I normall go to opie oils and get fuch titan or something similar as they seem to know their stuff about oil. Again just reading about these old Diesel engines they may prefer a less modern oil?

Any advice appreciated :-)

I use this....
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/20103...13=80&ff14=108

Just use cheap turbo diesel engine oil, expensive stuff is just a waste of money on a 20 year old diesel engine.
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 2 October 2014, 14:14.

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation, was thinking there isn't much between the 75/90 and 80/90 anyway but being unfamiliar with gear oils I didn't want to take the risk and ruin my diff when I could consult the forum

Comment

Originally posted by sleepy View Post
        Thanks for the recommendation, was thinking there isn't much between the 75/90 and 80/90 anyway but being unfamiliar with gear oils I didn't want to take the risk and ruin my diff when I could consult the forum

Do you know if you have an open diff or LSD? The trans/axle code is on the VIN plate.
        If you have a LSD then there's a different gear oil for that.

Comment

I have a G285 so according to the below link I have an 8" 4.300 4pinion lsd so that means I should be getting 90 LS gear oil?

http://www.brian894x4.com/Gearratiosanddiffs.html

Comment

Working...
          X