losing water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing water

bought a surf 2 weeks ago. was told it had had a new head etc... the other day it over heated and the radiator popped and lost all its water..had the radiator redone and its been perfect(thought the head had gone again but been great) drove it 200 miles today ran like a dream then the temp went up and it had lost its water...AA man came and filled it with water and its running great again.. but where is the water going to.... or does it mean that yes the head has gone again
    would love any ideas from anyone... many thanks ian

Originally posted by kirkby ian
    bought a surf 2 weeks ago. was told it had had a new head etc... the other day it over heated and the radiator popped and lost all its water..had the radiator redone and its been perfect(thought the head had gone again but been great) drove it 200 miles today ran like a dream then the temp went up and it had lost its water...AA man came and filled it with water and its running great again.. but where is the water going to.... or does it mean that yes the head has gone again
    ether that or one of your pipes wasent connected fully or is cracked and leaking,

Comment

Did you have proof that the head had been replaced with a new one not a recon one or repaired?
      I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

losing water

Originally posted by jotto
        Did you have proof that the head had been replaced with a new one not a recon one or repaired?
        yes got a receipt... but bought it from london and i live in mansfield...the receipt says all done on 20.10.04.. goin to ring the company tomorrow and see what they say... i was hoping to get it sorted without going back to london

Comment

yes got a receipt... but bought it from london and i live in mansfield...the receipt says all done on 20.10.04.. goin to ring the company tomorrow and see what they say... i was hoping to get it sorted without going back to london

Have you noticed any steam, white smoke from the exhaust. What condition is the rad cap in? And as has been said check all your hoses for splits etc.

I had water disapearing and after about a week discovered i had a very small split in a hose, had to look very hard to find it.
          I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

losing water

Have you noticed any steam, white smoke from the exhaust. What condition is the rad cap in? And as has been said check all your hoses for splits etc.

I had water disapearing and after about a week discovered i had a very small split in a hose, had to look very hard to find it.
            theres no steam or white smoke and the rad cap is brand new... will check all hoses tomorrow
            thanks for advice folks

Comment

yep and water pumps get stuff to a rite presure to spray right out of them small holes verry quick,

Comment

Originally posted by Ste00
                yep and water pumps get stuff to a rite presure to spray right out of them small holes verry quick,
                today ive searched for a leaking pipe and cant find anything at all....after filling with water i ran it up to running temperature, stoped the fan to make sure the temperature was running hot.. there is no signs of leaks anywhere..exaust is clear...turned it off and took the cap off and it took a litre of water...does anyone know if there is ever problems with the turbo taking the water as i cant see anywhere that the water is going.there appears to be water at the water intake and all the pipes appear to be hot so the water is circulating ok.

Comment

if the tubby was leaking (on a dry day) run it for a while and then move it back a bit from were it was if its the turbo there should be water on the ground under the car, maybee mark up were the wheels are b4 moving it too so u can do some mesurments of were the puddle is compaired to the wheels then do the same on the surf and u have a rough area,

Comment

I discovered recently that my head has just gone. The chambers showed signs of pitting, due to water entering the cylinders and being compressed by loads of pressure from the piston.
                    I don't know if this is where your water is disappearing too and hence it being vapourised. Maybe Someone with more knowledge than me can confirm or deny this.

The crack was in the usual place, 4th cylinder between inlet and exhaust. I have pictures that I took today, that I could post on here.

Another theory is that it is being dumped from your expansion bottle. If you look around where the main hoses join onto places like the radiator, are there signs of any white stuff? if so this is the water being pressurised out.

Another thing the mechanic did when he looked at my car, was feel the hose that goes from the thermostat to the top of the radiator. It was solid caused by the pressure in the system due to the head going.
                    Another thing he did whilst the engine was still warm, was carefully removing the radiator cap near the thermostat and pouring some more water in. The water immediately bubbled over due to the pressure.

Mike
                    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Inveniam viam aut faciam" - S

Comment

Check your carpets under the heater . If they are wet you maybe lossing water from the heater matrix .
                      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                        Check your carpets under the heater . If they are wet you maybe lossing water from the heater matrix .
                        Like me I think that coolant change cleared all the rubbish out and somehow didnt let go till after the weekend
                        Still - its getting warm now anyway
                        Tim
                        Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                        X