fuel leak at fuel pump Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel leak at fuel pump Help!

I've got a diesel leak and the mechanic says it's coming from the fuel pump. Leak only happens with engine running or for a few minutes after switch off. It's gonna cost 'cos radiator and timing belt have to come off to remove pump. Anyone had this problem before? Could the leak be a seal under the pump? Before I give the go-ahead, as its a high mileage surf, do I go the whole hog and get pump refurbished/replaced plus new belt and radiator - the old one is just holding together with solder and will fall apart if removed! Or do I just get a seal kit for the pump? Notice that at acceleration there is a "dead" spot around 3000rpm - engine revs but power fades for a second or two - could this be related? Either way this is expensive and any advice most welcome!
    Thanks
    Fraser
    Skippy the SSR, 1990 and soooo cool!

seal!!

Just had the same problem on my beast! couldn't for the life in me figure out where the leak was coming from!
    i had the luxury of my old engine still sat out on my drive way so i could see under the pump, my seal had just stopped sealing!!??
    On the top of your pump you'll see 4 allen key screws, (you'll need to move a few hoses out of the way to get to them with ease) Undo them and remove the top of the pump, DO NOT PULL THIS OFF ALL THE WAY!! Its connected by two wires! just flip it to one side and you'll see the rubber seal. if it's totaly flat then replace it. You'll have to manover it around the head of the pump and just do the opposite to fit the new one.
    Only takes about 20 mins to do and you'll save ££££ on time stripping the whole thing down.

G
    Always assume the worst.....Anything less is a bonus!!

Comment

Cheers mate!
      I'll give it a go as there's nothing to lose......except a bit more cash if I screw up!
      Much appreciate the info.
      Cheers
      Fraser

Comment

Working...
      X