Thermostat thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat thing

Some good points made about this thermostat thing.I have a new one that I will fit(£13 from toyota)But boiling the new one in a pan on the cooker with a thermometer this also opend at 92c-95c!!!.What Im going to do is drill a small hole in the main valve part as pressure relief,things boil up quicker under pressure as you all know,so maybe this will save the head in future.Or is this a bit silly? I am sure the thermostat has something to do with this head cracking epedemic.

Originally posted by flyingspanner
    Some good points made about this thermostat thing.I have a new one that I will fit(£13 from toyota)But boiling the new one in a pan on the cooker with a thermometer this also opend at 92c-95c!!!.What Im going to do is drill a small hole in the main valve part as pressure relief,things boil up quicker under pressure as you all know,so maybe this will save the head in future.Or is this a bit silly? I am sure the thermostat has something to do with this head cracking epedemic.
    Originally posted by flyingspanner
    When testing a thermostat it should be suspended in the container so it does not come in contact with bottom or sides as this can give a false reading.Faulty thermostats can cause overheating if they do not open.They can also cause an engine to run to cold if the opposite occurs.A new thermostat should not require any modification.

I don't believe overheating is the real problem with the Surfs.The problem is failure of the head gasket or other head problems because of poor maintenance which results in excessive pressure in the cooling system.This is what causes loss of coolant and the overheating is a result of this.

Thee bottom line is the engine is allready stuffed long before it overheats.There are signs that this may happen in the future.Pressure in the expansion tank,having to top up regularly etc.Use the thermostat as is,stick to regular maintenance and keep your fingers crossed.

Neville

Comment

Working...
    X