Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox Change

Hi,

Just a quick question on gearboxes. How difficult is it to change a automatic gearbox to a manual gearbox in a 3.0td Toyota surf? Is it just a matter of getting a manual gearbox, clutch pedal, new brake pedal and unbolting the automatic gearbox and sliding in the manual gearbox and pedals and off you go or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers
    Brood
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    All I want for X-mas is a garage stocked with tools and a manual 3.0td Surf

I think it's a bit more complicated than that mate! I'm no expert, but from my limited knowledge auto boxes have torque converters which change gear (I think). They don't have clutches so just fitting a clutch pedal would be pointless. You would also have to fit a clutch and all the associated ancillaries.

No doubt the more mechanically adept members will be along shortly to give you more in depth details!
    Last edited by Scorpion; 18 February 2009, 18:28.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

I wonder aswell if the ECU would go nuts as the gearbox sensor thingys wouldn't be communicating back?!

Either way, probably a fair amount of hassle mate..

Comment

Thanks guys for ur input is greatly appreciated. It looks like I'll just have to take my time to find the surf I'm after rather than getting a automatic and converting it.

Comment

Why would you want a manual one anyway? Autos are better...
          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

T'is true!

I didnt want to get an auto.. took ages to find a manual surf! then i sold it an as i wanted the facelift model i had to basically put with an auto an it is soo much nicer!

Comment

When I saw the post I thought, Why would anyone do that ?? and thought maybe his autobox was busted and he happened to have a manual available readily or cheaply.

But, I can see now that its because he is an autophobic. Lots of people are. I think they have issues and maybe feel that autos are for girls/gays and cloth capped oldies. They feel that if they dont have a "stick" to play with it detracts from their manhood, or that they have given up some control Attitudes are slowly changing as autos become more common in the UK. I think I was a bit suspicious of autos too until I drove my first one.

Bogus
              Сви можемо

Comment

well i agree a automatic is a smooth drive... and I've driven one off road and it performed gr8... but my left foot goes absolutely mental looking for the clutch when i want to stop. I'm a old-school off-roader as well, growing up driving a manual since i was tall enough to reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel

Comment

Originally posted by 00Brood View Post
                  well i agree a automatic is a smooth drive... and I've driven one off road and it performed gr8... but my left foot goes absolutely mental looking for the clutch when i want to stop. I'm a old-school off-roader as well, growing up driving a manual since i was tall enough to reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel
                  i was like that...

Till i nearly put my uncles tractor in a ditch..

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                    i was like that...

Till i nearly put my uncles tractor in a ditch..

LOL! sounds very familiar... well the only difference was it ended in the ditch... and there was loads of and but its quite funny now thinking about it...

Comment

Mine perfomed really well especialy over the last winter in all that ice, couldnt be more proud, stopped me spinning out so much like i norm do in car good economy too ( have 3ltr TD Auto ) Don't be disheart'd both auto and gear r great im only old school driving (learnt on Queen Mary Double clutch bus {im only 46} now still enjoy both.

Abide

Comment

Working...
                      X