Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual or Automatic

Hey all,
    I'm looking around for a Surf at the moment and i can't decide on a manual or automatic. Are there any advantages for going with one over the other? I like the idea of an automatic but i'm not sure of any issues there may be with the Surf on automatic...any comments appreciated.

Originally posted by devore
    Hey all,
    I'm looking around for a Surf at the moment and i can't decide on a manual or automatic. Are there any advantages for going with one over the other? I like the idea of an automatic but i'm not sure of any issues there may be with the Surf on automatic...any comments appreciated.

Slightly less mpg from an auto, maybe a bit more engine breaking for steep hills with a manual, more so for offroading. But other than that its all down to personal preference.
    Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
    My choice
    Back off

Comment

Cool - thanks for the swift reply! As a matter of interest - whats the average mpg for a 3 litre (Diesel) Surf around town and on the open road?

Comment

I bought a 3.0TD auto 4 weeks ago and this is the second week of driving it (on hols for two weeks) and have just calculated 21.4 mpg based on around town and fast trunk road (Crosby-Bootle-St Helens (A580/70mph)-Crosby (A580) daily commute)

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

should look for anywhere between 20 & 30 mpg, all down to driving style, foot flat to floor all the time or the more relaxed happy to drive the Sunday afternoon style all week.
          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
          My choice
          Back off

Comment

As Koi said, its mainly down to driving style. I get 26 from my 3.0 Auto, which is a mix of short motorway runs and town style driving, I don't thrash the life out of it but its certainly not pampered either! My previous 2.4 manual returned very similar figures also.
            Maurice
            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

I don't think I've got a particually heavey foot - but I do like Pi**ing of people who think that it is a slow vehicle.

I've been trying to workout if the ect is permently on giving a mpg as stated (see ect thread)
              [SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by UKWolf
                I don't think I've got a particually heavey foot - but I do like Pi**ing of people who think that it is a slow vehicle.
                Eer - could be wrong about that

Originally posted by UKWOLF
                I've been trying to workout if the ect is permently on giving a mpg as stated (see ect thread)
                Two more calcs
                20.8 commuting
                26.5 Liverpool M57/M62/M6/A50 Nottingham A52/A6/Cat & Fiddle/A57 Liverpool

Thinks - stop racing BMW's - as soon as those lights turn green

Comment

Working...
                X