Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Algys autos Imports

Hi folks

I'm going to change my Fourtrak for a Gen 3 Surf early next year....been looking at various ways of going about it! Ebay, Autotrader or an Import dealer such as Algys Imports.
    Is there any one here had dealings with Algys, a good looking web site which draws you in....I'm a bit warry of buying a car unseen. Being up in Aberdeenshire does not help ether.

Your coments please,

Ian........

Hi Ian, and welcome to the nuthouse!

I bought mine from Algy's a couple of years ago, and found them to be unfailingly helpful. The Surf was exactly as described when I collected it, and had been serviced/valeted etc. I would be happy to buy another one from them (although I'm not planning on getting rid of this one...)
    Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

Hi Ian, keep an eye on the for sale section , at least you can get some
      history with the truck , normally at a good price ,

Chris
      GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

Reviews of Algy's Autos Imports?

Hi Guys,

I am also thinking about using Algy's Autos, so thought I'd update this post. If anyone has any info on this dealer that could help, it would be much appreciated.

Their website certainly stresses that they are the cheapest, but of course as you don't get to see the vehicle before buying I'm more cautious.

Thank a lot!
        Live like ur gonna die, because ur gonna

Comment

dont know about algy's auto but i got my surf from these guys
          check post here http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41437

Comment

Re

They seem ###### EXPENSIVE to me!

Surely buying an import already in the UK privately is cheaper?

Gary

Comment

I figured for a vehicle straight from Japan, you'd be getting the newest model available with the least mileage. ok, you could order an old one with high mileage too, but that's up to you when you put the order in. Also all vehicles have pretty much been imported from somewhere at sometime. For a fee Algy also offers a 3 year warrantee which I thought was useful.

Buying a vehicle privately here, would likely be cheaper (but not neccessarily for one of equal spec), but I'm no car buff, and would rather have some 'come back' should I need it. I could spend £4-5k here on a decent Surf sure, but by adding £2-3k to the budget, I believe I'm more likely to get a more reliable and newer one from Japan - but of course there are exceptions! (like the type of owner and if the vehicles been looked after etc). It is a gamble though of course.
              Live like ur gonna die, because ur gonna

Comment

Originally posted by ian2144 View Post
                Hi folks

I'm going to change my Fourtrak for a Gen 3 Surf early next year....been looking at various ways of going about it! Ebay, Autotrader or an Import dealer such as Algys Imports.
                Is there any one here had dealings with Algys, a good looking web site which draws you in....I'm a bit warry of buying a car unseen. Being up in Aberdeenshire does not help ether.

Your coments please,

Ian........

Took delivery of mine from Algy's in middle of January. Very pleased with car. Absolutely no hassle with Algy's but thought they could have been more clued up on the tax position of imports - whenever I asked the reply was always, in effect, 'check with DVLA yourself'. Just make sure that the car is more than 10 years old at time of registration - that way you'll avoid the SVA test (which cost me about £1250) and you should be taxed as standard diesel / lights goods (£180 instead of £400 and an element of future proofing against anti- gas-guzzler vindictiveness). At the time I picked it up from Algy's they admitted that they were not 4x4 experts - their main business is in importing Figaros and Cubes.

Comment

Originally posted by tavvi View Post
                  Took delivery of mine from Algy's in middle of January. Very pleased with car. Absolutely no hassle with Algy's but thought they could have been more clued up on the tax position of imports - whenever I asked the reply was always, in effect, 'check with DVLA yourself'. Just make sure that the car is more than 10 years old at time of registration - that way you'll avoid the SVA test (which cost me about £1250) and you should be taxed as standard diesel / lights goods (£180 instead of £400 and an element of future proofing against anti- gas-guzzler vindictiveness). At the time I picked it up from Algy's they admitted that they were not 4x4 experts - their main business is in importing Figaros and Cubes.
                  Thanks tavvi,

So if I go for an early 98 model I will avoid the SVA test? I've been looking at MacKay Trading in Edinburgh, a bit on the dear side, though.
                  Where abouts in the Edinburgh area are you? I lived down there for nearly 15 years. Fairmilehead, Penicuik, and East Lothian.

Ian.......

Comment

Originally posted by ian2144 View Post
                    Thanks tavvi,

So if I go for an early 98 model I will avoid the SVA test? I've been looking at MacKay Trading in Edinburgh, a bit on the dear side, though.
                    Where abouts in the Edinburgh area are you? I lived down there for nearly 15 years. Fairmilehead, Penicuik, and East Lothian.

Ian.......
                    Hi Ian,

Sunny Portobello. Been here since 1989.
                    According to the rules there is no SVA test on vehicles more than 10 years old and it's only when they do the SVA test that they get a CO2 figure from the model report. You can call up the SVA centre and talk to one of the engineers - I wish I had done so before the fact. The guy I spoke to was very helpful and seeemed to be one of the few that actually knew the rules - unlike those at the tax office. In fact I'd recommend you do speak to someone as I get the impression they're forever looking at ways for closing any loopholes. I have a look into Mackays wheneever I pass - haven't seen any Surfs for a while - it's all Pajeros. Yes they're a bit pricey but they have a good name are very heklpful and guarantee that their vehicles fall into the low tax band. They don't ever seem to have a great choice - only ever seen 3rd gen non-intercooled cars.

Dave.

Comment

http://hiluxsurf.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70057

Comment

Working...
                      X