flashing o/d light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• flashing o/d light

when overdrive is on the o/d off light on the dash starts to flash. This is a regular flash and not just a loose connection. When i turn o/d off it stops flashing. Any ideas anybody. Checked my manuals and can't find it anywhere.

this is a problem in the auto box m8. Firstly have you checked level of transmission fluid.

Its usually one of four solenoids in the auto box which are speed controllers and which come in to play at certain speeds which enables the changing on the gearing. They can sometimes get lazy, which means thet are not engaging at the correct speeds and so give the flashing light. The code can be found by jumping the connectors in the EFI or connecting to a diagnostic reader.

There's a post on here somewhere about it, I'll try and find it.

here you go

http://www.yotasurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=8416

Comment

thanks for the help.I've looked through the links and it seems it could be a number of things.I checked the fluid first and all seems ok and o/d is engaging and disengaging ok, that's what stumped me. It stops flashing now and again so i'll check all the wiring etc. Thanks again you've been very helpful.

Comment

I have read that if you disconnect the batteries, it clears the code, but I'm not necessarily sure that means its rectified the problem.The reason I know a bit about it, I had the same on my previous surf and it was a lazy solenoid showing the error, but o/d was engaging fine. The slightest electronic fault shows an error even if the solenoid is doing its job albeit a bit slower. Still wise to get it checked if you can though m8, just to be on the safe side

Comment

Thx. Light has stopped flashing now, but when it flashed it did it even in park and neutral then would stop sometimes after a period of flashing whilst driving and not changing any gearing.This is what has got me stumped as a solenoid fault should really only show when it is activated,but who knows.I'll check for a fault code this weekend when i've more time. It went straight through the MOT this morning,fantastic.

Comment

Hi there,
            I suppose this could be a bit late for you, but I had a similar problem with my surf when I brought it. The surf is a 1992 v6 petrol, auto. It started flashing the o/d off light intermittently. At the same time the transmission went into its failsafe mode whilst the light was flashing. When I read the fault code it gave the description 'open or short circuit in no2 solenoid wiring harness'. The fault turned out to be a broken solder joint in the main engine / transmission computer. This after the toyota dealership and an autoelctrician spent almost 4 weeks trying to diagnose the fault at the gearbox end.
            As I said this may be a bit late in coming for you but others might find it interesting.

Comment

flasher

Originally posted by throbber
              when overdrive is on the o/d off light on the dash starts to flash. This is a regular flash and not just a loose connection. When i turn o/d off it stops flashing. Any ideas anybody. Checked my manuals and can't find it anywhere.
              you can find a list fault codes at:

http://www.troublecodes.net/Toyota

they may not be any use to you as you say your light flashes regularly, but hey, someone may find them usefull.
              Paul

Comment

Hey Paul are those codes relevant to your surf...as mine is the same as yours only '95 model...

Cheers Darren

Comment

Working...
                X