yobit eobot.com

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

full beam on head lights not working full beam on head lights not working full beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• full beam on head lights not working full beam on head lights not working full beam

Hi! Heres my first ever post. Did some searches but could not find an answer.

I just bought a 92 Surf 2.4 tdi auto ssr-x

When I pull the light switch lever back to flash the head lights it works, but when I move the lever forward for full beam the headlights go out completely, except for the left side parking light.

I checked the fuses and they seem OK. All other lights work fine.

Normal beam is fine, but when I want to keep the full beam on I have to hold the lever back in the 'flash head lights' position.

Is there a swith that needs be replaced, or is it electrical?
    Surf ssr-x 2.4 tdi auto 1992 black

Hi Paul and welcome to the Surf nuthouse.

My first thought would be to check the headlamp relay is plugged in properly. Another thing could be the the actual dip/main beam stalk switch has a bad connection. There is a wiring diagram somewhere which might help you narrow it down.

http://www.afm15.dial.pipex.com/surf...orlighting.jpg

The above drawing and others can be found in the Various Electrical Diagrams sticky at the top of this section.
    Last edited by kitesurf_phil; 28 November 2004, 18:26.
    It's only a hobby!

Comment

Can I ask where I may find the relay - is it near the engine or the steering wheel. I'm afraid the wiring diagrams are beyond me.
      If it is a new swich required, how much are they?

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated

Comment

Looks like it is behind the glove box. See EPC view attached
        Attached Files

Comment

take it back to where you bought it!.... as it is illegal to drive with defective headlamps!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Well I bought it privately so taking it back won't be much good, and it was OK when I bought it!

found this on the net and will let you all know what it is when I work it out!

http://www.4crawler.com/4xCheapTrick...eadlight_Combo

Headlight Combo Switch Repair:

My high beams started acting up, there seemed to be a slight (and very dark) delay as I switched them on. Sometimes it would take a few seconds before they clicked on. Then, they didn't turn on. I figured it might be the headlight relay, so I got one of those, changed it out and no difference. Then I did a bit more diagnostic work and found the high beams would work in "flash" mode, just not my themselves. According to the Factory Service Manual, this indicates a problem in the "combo" switch.

I decided I should at least have a look at this before springing for a special order (and probably high priced) replacement part. Pulled off the steering wheel and the trim around the steering column. I removed the combo switch assembly with 4 screws, then found the 4 screws that held in the headlight switch. I found a lot of grease smeared all over the switch and this was probably the source of the problem. I think the grease was off the horn contact. I cleaned up most of it, but found the contact was still not good. The trusty Factory Service Manual had a schematic of the switch and is is very complex. There is one set of contacts that do energize the headlight relay, which in turn supplies power to the headlights. However, the switch itself actually switches the grounds to the headlights and has to pass the full current of two filaments through it. I think I will redesign this at a later date to have two separate relays, one for each high and low beam to eliminate the power loss of this complex wiring scheme.

Anyway, I noticed that these contacts were a bit pitted from the high current they have to carry. I carefully filed each pair of contacts until I had nice shiny metal on each one. Put it all back together, flipped the switch and there was light!
            Cost:
            Nada, zip, zilch!

Comment

Well I ended up taking the car to a garage with a print out of the suggestions. They fiddled a while and ended up putting a new switch in as the labour for this was cheaper than their fiddling! cheers, Paul

Comment

Sorry to resurrect a 10 year old thread guys but not worth starting a new one! I am having this exact problem. Do i really need to take the whole steering wheel off for this job or can i get away with just removing the trim? Im a bit of a noob with this sort of thing, so will the switch that im looking for be standing out or is it well hidden?

Comment

If you can spay in some Isopropyl around the switch it might work... you'll need a can with one of those flexible hose things (as found on a can of WD40).
                  I have never tackled that one so Im not sure how much of the steering cowling needs to come off for access.

Back in the day Baby

Comment

Working...
                  X