Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I swap door barrels?

Hi all

I cannot get the key into my driver door barrel - think the tumblers have broken

My passenger door one locks and unlocks but obviously doesn't work the central locking

Does anyone know if it's possible to have them swapped over? I assume the central locking actuator is in the door rather than attached to the barrel?

Toyota want £180 for a new set, I can't find a breakers who has one and can't find anyone local to repair it so thinking swapping them may be the answer

Save earth...it's the only planet with chocolate

You should be able to get the levers out and swap them over, I hope so as I'm about to do the same myself! I've done it on an old Alfa 155.
    One thing though, if it breaks again how will you open the doors?

Comment

That's very true lol

Garage have advised me to try spraying wd40 in the lock as could be a rusty tumbler that's not moving when the key goes in, so will try that

Comment

If the passenger side breaks you can still go in through the back door so to speak...
        I just changed all four of mine (the complete handle and catch assembly - front driver and passenger, rear doors as well) - it is easier for the front than the back.
        I'd say get the complete unit (door handle and catch assembly) taken out the doors - it is fixed to the door panel by 2x 10mm head bolts (you have to remove the internal door trim). However to wriggle the handle assembly completely free of the door you'll have to also unclip the lock push rod and the handle release push rod - pretty easy. I also had to use the key to turn the locking barrel (and attached lobe) to wriggle the assembly out the door. If you can't turn the key in the assembly then just pry off the tiny circlip holding the lobe onto the lock barrel - mind not to lose circlip in the door internals.
        Then once you got both door handle complete assemblies free from the car you can then swap over the dodgy barrels on a work bench. Then just replace as it was - mind the fiddly circlip again if the (now passenger side) barrel won't turn)
        As I say just done something similar on mine and although fiddly not difficult.
        Hope this makes sense.
        Greg

Comment

Thank you

Hopefully it will make sense to hubby...being female I'm confused already

Comment

Originally posted by Trinity View Post
            Hi all

I cannot get the key into my driver door barrel - think the tumblers have broken

My passenger door one locks and unlocks but obviously doesn't work the central locking

Does anyone know if it's possible to have them swapped over? I assume the central locking actuator is in the door rather than attached to the barrel?

Toyota want £180 for a new set, I can't find a breakers who has one and can't find anyone local to repair it so thinking swapping them may be the answer

I'm not saying this is the answer to your problem but I had a similar experience with my drivers door, old original worn key would not open the door but would lock it, however a new key I had cut opens and locks the door with ease and no hassle, also works better in the ignition, so rarely use the original key now.

Comment

Originally posted by soramad View Post
              I'm not saying this is the answer to your problem but I had a similar experience with my drivers door, old original worn key would not open the door but would lock it, however a new key I had cut opens and locks the door with ease and no hassle, also works better in the ignition, so rarely use the original key now.
              Hi thanks for that but we have 2 keys for it and neither will actually go all the way in so seems the tumblers are the problem

Comment

Or you can fit An alarm with remote central locking like mine has.

Comment

Working...
                X