New digital vehicle tax

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
    When you buy a secondhand car, the tax will remain on it until the seller posts off the V5, therefore road legal.
    You can drive it home and apply for the tax online.
    No problem.
    That's my point...

Yes technically, the vehicle is not taxed at the point of sale...

But the ANPR systems are only as good as up to date as the database that runs them... and that's run by the DVLA.....

You'd have to be ###### unlucky to get caught, either stopped (random, not ANPR tax related), or investigated due to an accident/tip off/etc..

Still it's a gamble that people will have to take, (if they choose) that wasn't an issue before. and I still can't really see the sense in it... unless the entire tax system is owner/address based now, instead of vehicle based... which would seem a step backwards to me!
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

Its a step backwards for people who dont buy and sell new cars, but it makes life easier for those who run the data bases to keep up with who is doing what.

Its harder to fiddle your tax and harder to make excuses if you get taken to court, it'll also be cheaper IF the auto phone system actually works.

I dunno if any of you have ever had to ring the DVLA or do anything complicated like persuade them that your Surf is an estate car like a Discovery and NOT a LUV like a Defender.....

Comment

I find the Uk road tax really weird...

Here they did away with paying road tax altogether 2 or 3 yrs ago.

They just added a small tax to the fuel, so fuel went up trhe equivalent of a few pennies.That money go (or "should go") to road rehabilitation etc.

Seems fairer to me...the more you use the road the more you pay for its maintenance.

You guys have old pensioners payng the same tax as guys who drive thousands of miles a week...if I'm not mistaken...

Comment

...AND...its impossible to dodge.

And admin costs are much reduced...

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
            ...AND...its impossible to dodge.
            Hardly, I drive on Serbian plates in the UK,

ANPR that!
            Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

I hadn't taught of that...added bonus!

By putting road tax onto fuel, Serbians and other Balkan folk driving on UK roads will contribute to their upkeep.

PS: what will happen to Caledonia plates?

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
                I hadn't taught of that...added bonus!

By putting road tax onto fuel, Serbians and other Balkan folk driving on UK roads will contribute to their upkeek
                Parking tickets can still go in the bin though.

Sent from the iPad you "lost"

Comment

Originally posted by slobodan View Post
                  Parking tickets can still go in the bin though.

Definitely!

And as for those fixed speeding cameras...

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                    As above really, I'll be glad to see tax disks gone as I've always thought they were ugly..

I really dislike the idea of tax not being transferable with a second hand car, and really can't see what gain they have made from this.
                    On the plus point, if you exchange on a weekend, (or any day for that matter) I doubt that the database will update on the ANPR systems before you get home....
                    only gain is that to get tax you need insurance so this will stop a few from driving witout insurance ect is all I can see from it

Comment

Originally posted by trev1968 View Post
                      only gain is that to get tax you need insurance so this will stop a few from driving witout insurance ect is all I can see from it
                      You need that now...

Comment

Originally posted by trev1968 View Post
                        Good point!
                        More Lift.
                        More Tyres.
                        More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
                          You need that now...
                          Technically you don't, you pay for the initial premium. get your certificate of insurance and don't pay any further instalments, insurance cancelled and don't return the certificate of insurance as you should. Walk in to a post office and show certificate of insurance and get your tax disc.
                          Its well known, thousands do it and they also carry the certificate in the car to show Police in case they get stopped.
                          Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                          My choice
                          Back off

Comment

Originally posted by Koi View Post
                            Technically you don't, you pay for the initial premium. get your certificate of insurance and don't pay any further instalments, insurance cancelled and don't return the certificate of insurance as you should. Walk in to a post office and show certificate of insurance and get your tax disc.
                            Its well known, thousands do it and they also carry the certificate in the car to show Police in case they get stopped.
                            I dare say that happens...and yet 12 years ago I worked for a company that did the overnight sync of the insurers databases...so that really shouldn't work the frst time they drive past a police car or in the post office.
                            Last edited by andyverran; 2 September 2014, 12:45.

Comment

Originally posted by andyverran View Post
                              I dare say that happens...and yet 12 years ago I worked for a company that did the overnight sync of the insurers databases...so that really shouldn't work the frst time they drive past a police car or in the post office.
                              It won't work if the Police stop you as they always run a veh through the system, however the post office only ever look at the certificate to make sure its in date.
                              Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
                              My choice
                              Back off

Comment

I predict an increase in registration plate cloning, especially as it's so easy to buy a pair of plates on eBay with no questions asked.

Comment

Working...
                                X