Changing gear 3.0ltr auto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing gear 3.0ltr auto

Just done almost trouble free)3200kms towing 1500kg caravan through france, I found that when it was really hot 30C or when going up long hills the auto transmission would not change into top gear at 55mph as usual, I would have to get upto 61mph to make the change, things returned to normal after a short period of level or easier towing, I suspect high auto transmission temps, allthough the ATF high temp light never came on, any one any ideas?

Originally posted by andywright
    Just done almost trouble free)3200kms towing 1500kg caravan through france, I found that when it was really hot 30C or when going up long hills the auto transmission would not change into top gear at 55mph as usual, I would have to get upto 61mph to make the change, things returned to normal after a short period of level or easier towing, I suspect high auto transmission temps, allthough the ATF high temp light never came on, any one any ideas?
    more than likely the fluid temp...
    get an additional cooler, this should solve the problem...
    do a search on oil cooler.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Did you have ECT selected and overdrive off?

I found that I was better off leaving the ECT off and just switching the overdrive off on long hills. Occasionally I manually select the gears, especially when doing a hill start on a steep one. I have found that the transmission doesn't get so hot. I think the extra heat may be something to do with the torque converters lockup(?) (locker) being disabled when ECT is selected. I'm sure someone more knowlegable will read my musings and put you (and me) right.
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

re-gear change

I didn't have ECT enabled, allthough I was going to try it to see if it makes a difference, i did find that switching O/D off when starting and hill climbing seemed to help but it could have been in the mind, after all O/D is just another gear.

Comment

Auto box lock up point

Andy, I have also posted a response in the 3.0 section.
          Regarding the ECT control. I only ever use this for overtaking where it will hold onto a gear for longer, thus allowing better acceleration.
          For normal towing I find the change up speeds to be OK.
          2 ton SURF + 1.5 tons of Avondale.

Colin

Comment

Re- auto box lock up point

Cheers colin will try the next time I'm towing

Comment

Working...
            X