HID headlight brainstormer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    this is the company i got my kit from mate it looks ok in the write up and its a british company but i am not 100% sure who makes the kit for them
    I'M ALWAYS IN THE SH'T, IT'S ONLY THE DEPTH THAT VARIES!!!!!!!!

Comment

He sells wigs mainly...

Have you received the HID kit then? Check what other markings are on it, and what the CE mark looks like. There will probably be the mark of the test house that tested it (usually TUV for that kind of kit) also.

I'm sure it'll be fine, but as you say, if MOT man wanted to dig, it would be a p1sser if he failed you on a non-conforming HID system.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

i've got a couple of pics of the ballast which i will put up later on as the computer is trying to get my other phone working

Comment

Comment

I dont think thats a genuine CE mark. Put the ballasts where it's impossible to see the labels

Comment

i was a little unsure but i was going to go on the side of caution and turn the ballast over so it can't be seen
              I'm a little p'ssed off about it because i thought i'd done the homework and, Made sure i had the TUV and the ISO marks but they are only on the box and the CE mark is on the ballast but what is the E4 mark for?

Comment

Originally posted by tonupteabag View Post
                i was a little unsure but i was going to go on the side of caution and turn the ballast over so it can't be seen
                I'm a little p'ssed off about it because i thought i'd done the homework and, Made sure i had the TUV and the ISO marks but they are only on the box and the CE mark is on the ballast but what is the E4 mark for?
                I dont generally get involved in the commercial side (I usually only work with military kit) but as far as I know, CE is a general European EMC directive for all domestic electronic equipment, whereas 'E' is specifically an automotive EMC directive. There was a time when if you were CE accredited, that was enough, but recently you need to pass E as well. Not sure what the number refers to, but I expect it is either the relevant part of the directive for the type of equipment, or a limit. Given that the CE mark is fake, I doubt its been E marked either.

Our commercial side do a lot of CE work, but the 'E' work is done in the main by TUV (and possibly MIRA) who have huge domestic vehicle EMC involvement.

Comment

Hmm http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
                  this is the company i got my kit from mate it looks ok in the write up and its a british company but i am not 100% sure who makes the kit for them
                  The fact that "Guarantee" is spelled incorrectly in his main picture for the listing would have been enough to make me think twice.

Secondly, his Ebay store sells wigs and hair-pieces http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Kims-Wigs-and-Hair-Pieces with a nifty sideline in Xenon HID kits.

Thirdly, there is nothing special about those ballasts or any other part of the kit. They are mass produced in China with fake type approvals and are exactly the same as every other HID kit on the market. They are built to be ultra cheap rather than good quality. Hence the RF interference from the Ballasts, something that no TUV approved or E marked product would get away with.

I think you'd be very unlucky to fail an MOT with them fitted. If they work safely and you're happy, thats all that matters.
                  Last edited by Surfer Ross; 13 January 2011, 20:31.
                  En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
                    I think you'd be very unlucky to fail an MOT with them fitted. If they work safely and you're happy, thats all that matters.
                    Yep. But a crackdown in non-compliant goods is on the horizon (long overdue - give our own industry a chance!), so you can easily see MOT men checking for correctly e marked lamp lenses etc in the future - so as I say, hide the labels. He wont look THAT hard.

Comment

Hahaha, just browsing t'internet for stuff related to vehicle EMC directives, and found my own employers web page for domestic vehicle EMC. Just shows how much attention I pay to our marketing department emails

Comment

I have some ignition coil packs here, they were made in China and came to me via the USA!

Still much cheaper than buying them here though.

Comment

well the kits fitted and what a ###### difference! it's very bright as for the beam patterns i checked the halogen beam pattern on a white garage door (mine to be precise) and compared the HIDs when fitted, apart from the pattern being slightly fluffy on the edges the pattern is the same this was done at a distance of about four feet, so with the pattern tester at the mot bay being a lot closer the edges of the pattern should look a bit sharper

Comment

well the end of this is as follows the HID kit is being removed due to not blinding people but the main beam side of it is crap . the dip beam is great but the main beam is absolutely attrocious... so i am going to replace them with 130/80w bulbs

Comment

well the end of this is as follows the HID kit is being removed due to not blinding people but the main beam side of it is crap . the dip beam is great but the main beam is absolutely attrocious... so i am going to replace them with 130/80w bulbs
                              I'd be careful with such high wattage bulbs on stock looms, they can only just handle normal H4s. If you're going to run such high wattage bulbs safely, you need to replace the headlamp wiring looms with something a lot beefier. Burnt out wiring is a nightmare to replace, especially if it takes other wiring with it.
                              En Ferus Hostis. Be your own man. Follow nobody.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfer Ross View Post
                                I'd be careful with such high wattage bulbs on stock looms, they can only just handle normal H4s. If you're going to run such high wattage bulbs safely, you need to replace the headlamp wiring looms with something a lot beefier. Burnt out wiring is a nightmare to replace, especially if it takes other wiring with it.
                                hi mate cheers for the concern but i have already uprated the loom to cope with around the 300 watt mark so it should be ok i actually copied the loom from daniel sterns website

Comment

Working...
                                X