CV joint boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV joint boots

I know a lot of you will have done this before, but I can't find an answer when I search.
    When removing the front drive shafts to renew the boots, do the differential drive flange bolts come out of the drive shaft flange or are they fixed like studs, struggling to get enough room to remove the shaft, already removed the shock absorber bottom bolt and shifted the shock out of the way. Don't have heavy enough ball joint splitter to let go of the bottom ball joint to pinch some more space
    cheers
    John
    [SIZE=4][FONT=Century Gothic]I can fix it...it won't be cheap.........or pretty![/FONT][/SIZE]

Originally posted by jet1749
    I know a lot of you will have done this before, but I can't find an answer when I search.
    When removing the front drive shafts to renew the boots, do the differential drive flange bolts come out of the drive shaft flange or are they fixed like studs, struggling to get enough room to remove the shaft, already removed the shock absorber bottom bolt and shifted the shock out of the way. Don't have heavy enough ball joint splitter to let go of the bottom ball joint to pinch some more space
    cheers
    John

i seem to remember them being studs when i did mine...

i found it very easy by using a trolly jack under the lower arm and jack up until there is enough room to slide the drive shafts out under the lower arm. hardest job was undoing the nuts they are tight!!!!!!
    CHEERS JOHN................

Comment

If you jack the wishbone up you should get the clearance, if you want to undo the balljoint, just undo the 4 bolts holding it to the wishbone.

Yeah, they are studs.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

I did mine last month for the MOT (only took six hours), I did find it very tight getting through the gap. It helps if you can get the wishbone parrellel (spell check please) to the ground, which I couldn't due to uprated torsion bars (knew there'd be a time I'd regret fitting them).
        Oh if your replacing it because the old boots were split expect to get covered in grease.
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Working...
        X